Major advising for our ASU Online students
When should I check in?
As an ASU Online student, you are welcome and encouraged to communicate with your professional academic advisor in the College of Integrative Sciences and Arts (CISA) whenever the need arises — but particularly when first enrolling at ASU, when planning for your second registration period, and again when you reach senior-level standing.
Ideally, you should make a habit of checking in before you register for each term!
During your first advising appointment you will:
- Make progress toward graduation! ... by reviewing the Major Map for your major, registering for classes, accessing Canvas, and setting a tentative graduation timeline
- Be introduced to university support services, including Financial Aid, Success Coaching, the University Bookstore, and tutoring
- Learn about university policies pertaining to class registration (e.g., drop, add, withdraw, tuition) by accessing ASU’s Academic Calendar
During your second advising appointment you will:
- Understand how to read your degree audit (DARS) and use it to identify unfulfilled credits
- Understand the importance of registering for classes when each enrollment period opens
- Review online tutoring options, including Smarthinking
- Understand how ASU Career Services can help you make progress toward career goals
- Be aware of minor options
During your senior-level advising appointment you will:
- Discuss your last push for experiential learning options, such as internships, Study Abroad opportunities, etc.
- Be encouraged to seek the services provided by ASU Career Services
- Know which courses are required to meet final degree requirements
- Know how and when to apply for graduation
Meet your team of expert advisors at cisa.asu.edu/advising!
How can I make the most of my advising appointments?
All students are encouraged to:
- Connect with your advisor every semester
- Complete all “to dos” or recommendations from your advisor.
- Prepare thoughtful questions to help you accomplish your goals
- Log in to My ASU for your phone or zoom appointments
- Be an active learner and fully participate in the advising experience
- Become knowledgeable about ASU programs, policies and procedures