Family and Human Development
A concentration in family and human development exposes students to the basic course work and issues within the discipline. This program provides an exceptional balance to studies in psychology, communication, education, or business.
- Students must complete a minimum of 18 credit hours including 12 of upper division hours for this concentration.
- All courses must be completed with a grade of “C” (2.00) or higher.
Core 9 Hours
CDE 232 Human Development, SB (3) (Required)
FAS 101 Growth in Personal Relationships, SB (3) (Required)
FAS 370 Family, Ethnic, and Cultural Diversity, SB & C (3) (Required)
Electives 9 Hours Required
Choose elective courses from the following, at least one course must be a CDE course.
CDE 337 Early Childhood Intervention (3)
CDE 430 Infant/Toddler Development in the Family, SB (3)
CDE 498 Pro-Seminar (3)
FAS 301 Introduction to Parenting (3)
FAS 331 Marriage and Family Relationships, SB (3)
FAS 332 Human Sexuality, SB (3)
CDE 312 OR SOC 312 (3) Adolescence, SB (Prerequisites: SOC 101, PGS 101, FAS 101 or FAS 330 with C or better; Credit is allowed for only CDE 312 or SOC 312)
CDE 418 Aging and the Life Course, SB & H (3) (Prerequisite(s): FAS 101, 330, PGS 101 or SOC 101 with C or better; minimum 30 hours; Credit is allowed for only CDE 418 or SOC 418)
CDE 450 Child Dysfunction in the Family (3) (Prerequisite(s): CDE 232, PGS 101, or SOC 101 with C or better; minimum junior standing)
FAS 498 Pro-Seminar (3)
All Interdisciplinary Studies students are required to complete a 12 credit hour core.
BIS 301, BIS 302 and BIS 402 courses require:
A meeting with your academic advisor to:
Ensure both of your concentration areas have been declared
Are working towards completing (or have completed) 1-2 courses in each declared concentration
- One course meeting general studies MA requirement
- ENG 102 or ENG 105 or ENG 108 or First Year Composition Completed
- Minimum 2.00 GPA
Required Courses (12 credit hours):
BIS 301 Foundations of Interdisciplinary Studies, L (3)
BIS 302 Interdisciplinary Inquiry (3)
Prerequisite(s): BIS 301 with C or better
BIS 401 Applied Interdisciplinary Studies (3) (requires application)
Prerequisites: BIS 301 with C or better; BIS 302 with C or better; Minimum of two courses completed in each concentration area
BIS 402 Senior Seminar, L (3)
Prerequisite(s): BIS 301 with C or better; BIS 302 with C or better
For important information, additional major requirements, course descriptions, and application deadlines: Interdisciplinary Studies Core Courses
For assistance in selecting your concentration areas of study complete the Interdisciplinary Studies concentration workshop: Interdisciplinary Studies Pre-Advising Workshop
Transfer to ASU transfer.asu.edu
- How credits transfer to ASU transfer.asu.edu/credits
- How to transfer to ASU from a Two-Year school transfer.asu.edu/ CommunityColleges
Maricopa County Community College District (MCCCD) transfer students transfer.asu.edu/maricopa
- Courses may fulfill Arizona General Education Curriculum (AGEC) or Associate’s degree requirements, consult with your community college academic advisor for details.
- MCCCD course transfer equivalencies are listed here; they may be applied toward this concentration (maximum of six credits or two courses).
- Information listed was current for this catalog year at the time of printing, consult transfer.asu.edu/maricopa for verification.