Face-to-Face for First-Year Composition
Face-to-Face (F2F) Writers’ Studio is an innovative first-year composition option at ASU’s Downtown Phoenix campus. Based on award-winning models for composition, F2F Writers’ Studio is bringing together a diverse community of faculty, staff, writing fellows, and students to rethink how writing is taught and learned.
Together this highly collaborative team develops research and writing projects that engage “real-world” civic, academic, and professional issues through project-based learning in a collaborative environment.
If you are looking for an alternative to the traditional model of first-year composition, you may enroll in Face-to-Face Writers’ Studio by registering for a special section of ENG 101 or ENG 105 in the Fall and ENG 102 in the Spring.
In F2F Writers’ Studio, you'll be organized in workgroups to develop writing projects that include:
- rhetorical analyses of pop-culture texts
- research proposals
- inquiry blogs
- informative and persuasive essays
- multi-modal arguments
- web-based portfolios
As you develop these projects throughout the semester, you’ll interact with peers, faculty, and writing fellows by:
- navigating curriculum that “blends” the online and physical classroom
- engaging with writing as a process
- participating in F2F discussion forums
- completing dynamic writing exercises
- participating in writers’ workshops
- fostering “community” with social media (e.g. Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc.)
- maintaining a digital portfolio
While the program will be hosted on the Downtown Phoenix campus, any ASU student who must complete ENG 101 or ENG 102 should enroll in an F2F Writer's Studio course.