Students pursuing a concentration in Italian gain an understanding of the language, literature and cultures of Italian speaking peoples and regions. There are opportunities to partake in study abroad programs, which can serve to enhance a student's experience and education.
- Students must complete a minimum of 18 credit hours which includes 12 upper division hours for this concentration.
- Students must complete a minimum of 6 ITA upper division hours offered by the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences
- All courses must be completed with a grade of “C” (2.00) or higher.
- *Pre‐requisites: ITA 202 with a grade of C or better.
- Course substitutions are allowed for heritage and advanced speakers of the language. Consult an advisor in the School of International Letters and Cultures for details.
Electives 6 Hours Required
Choose two courses from the following:
ITA 311 Italian Conversation, G (3)* OR ITA 312 Italian Composition, G (3)* OR ITA 319
ITA 321 Introduction to Italian Literature I (3) OR ITA 322 Introduction to Italian Literature II (3)*
Upper Division (400 Level Course) 3 Hours Required
Any ITA 400 level course
Electives 9 Hours Required
Elective courses should be chosen to fulfill the upper division requirements.
Students may use a maximum of 6 credits from the 200‐level.
ITA 201 Intermediate Italian I, G (4)
ITA 202 Intermediate Italian II, G (4)
ITA 311 Italian Conversation, G (3)*
ITA 312 Italian Composition, G (3)*
ITA 315 Italian Culture: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, HU & G (3) (Prerequisite(s): ITA 202 with C or better)
ITA 319 Italian for Professions (3) (Prerequisite(s): ITA 202 with C or better)
ITA 321 Introduction to Italian Literature I (3)
ITA 322 Introduction to Italian Literature II (3)*
ITA 394 Special Topics (1-4)
ITA 413 Advanced Italian, G (3) (Prerequisites: ITA 311 or 312 with C or better)
ITA 420 Italian Cinema (3)
ITA 430 Italian Literature of the Middle Ages, HU (3) (Prerequisites: ITA 321 or 322 with C or better)
ITA 441 Dante: Divina Commedia, L or HU (3) (Prerequisites: ITA 321 or 322 with C or better)
ITA 443 Italian Literature of the Renaissance, HU & H (3) (Prerequisites: ITA 321 or 322 with C or better)
ITA 449 20th-Century Italian Literature, HU & G (3) (Prerequisites: ITA 321 or 312 with C or better)
ITA 484 Intgernship (1-12)
ITA 494 Special Topics (1-4)
ITA 499 Individualized Instruction (1-3)
Any ITA 300 or 400 level course
All Interdisciplinary Studies students are required to complete a 12 credit hour core.
BIS 301, BIS 302 and BIS 402 courses require:
A meeting with your academic advisor to:
Ensure both of your concentration areas have been declared
Are working towards completing (or have completed) 1-2 courses in each declared concentration
- One course meeting general studies MA requirement
- ENG 102 or ENG 105 or ENG 108 or First Year Composition Completed
- Minimum 2.00 GPA
Required Courses (12 credit hours):
BIS 301 Foundations of Interdisciplinary Studies, L (3)
BIS 302 Interdisciplinary Inquiry (3)
Prerequisite(s): BIS 301 with C or better
BIS 401 Applied Interdisciplinary Studies (3) (requires application)
Prerequisites: BIS 301 with C or better; BIS 302 with C or better; Minimum of two courses completed in each concentration area
BIS 402 Senior Seminar, L (3)
Prerequisite(s): BIS 301 with C or better; BIS 302 with C or better
For important information, additional major requirements, course descriptions, and application deadlines: Interdisciplinary Studies Core Courses
For assistance in selecting your concentration areas of study complete the Interdisciplinary Studies concentration workshop: Interdisciplinary Studies Pre-Advising Workshop
Transfer to ASU transfer.asu.edu
- How credits transfer to ASU transfer.asu.edu/credits
- How to transfer to ASU from a Two-Year school transfer.asu.edu/ CommunityColleges
Maricopa County Community College District (MCCCD) transfer students transfer.asu.edu/maricopa
- Courses may fulfill Arizona General Education Curriculum (AGEC) or Associate’s degree requirements, consult with your community college academic advisor for details.
- MCCCD course transfer equivalencies are listed here; they may be applied toward this concentration (maximum of six credits or two courses).
- Information listed was current for this catalog year at the time of printing, consult transfer.asu.edu/maricopa for verification.