Spanish for the Professions
The series of courses in the Spanish for the professions concentration will help students hone Spanish communication skills and cultural knowledge to serve the needs of the U.S. - Latino community in professional settings (i.e., education, social work, health care, criminology, and journalism). The combination of professionally focused courses and practical experience in this concentration will enhance students’ professional skills in positions that require advanced proficiency in Spanish and in-depth understanding of U.S. – Latino culture. This program is offered on the ASU Downtown Phoenix and ASU Online campuses only.
- Program Prerequisite: SPA 314/316 or permission of instructor.
- Students must complete a minimum of 18 credits including 12 hours of upper division credit for this concentration.
- All courses must be completed with a grade of “C” (2.00) or higher.
Concentration Core 12 hours
SPA 317 Introduction to Spanish for the Professions (3)
SPA 404 Spanish in U.S. Professional Communities, C (3)
SPA 405 Latino Cultural Perspectives for the Professions, C (3)
SPA 484 Internship (3) (Prerequisites: completion of 12 credit hours in the concentration and instructor approval)
Electives 6 hours required
Not from SPA 313, 314, 315, 316 or 325
SPA 300 or 400 level Spanish courses must be focused on the professions (e.g., health care, business, medical/legal interpretation, journalism, social work, education, legal and justice studies, sustainability, engineering and urban planning) (3)
SPA 403 Spanish Grammar and Stylistics for the Professions (3)
All Interdisciplinary Studies students are required to complete a 12 credit hour core.
BIS 301, BIS 302 and BIS 402 courses require:
A meeting with your academic advisor to:
Ensure both of your concentration areas have been declared
Are working towards completing (or have completed) 1-2 courses in each declared concentration
- One course meeting general studies MA requirement
- ENG 102 or ENG 105 or ENG 108 or First Year Composition Completed
- Minimum 2.00 GPA
Required Courses (12 credit hours):
BIS 301 Foundations of Interdisciplinary Studies, L (3)
BIS 302 Interdisciplinary Inquiry (3)
Prerequisite(s): BIS 301 with C or better
BIS 401 Applied Interdisciplinary Studies (3) (requires application)
Prerequisites: BIS 301 with C or better; BIS 302 with C or better; Minimum of two courses completed in each concentration area
BIS 402 Senior Seminar, L (3)
Prerequisite(s): BIS 301 with C or better; BIS 302 with C or better
For important information, additional major requirements, course descriptions, and application deadlines: Interdisciplinary Studies Core Courses
For assistance in selecting your concentration areas of study complete the Interdisciplinary Studies concentration workshop: Interdisciplinary Studies Pre-Advising Workshop
Transfer to ASU transfer.asu.edu
- How credits transfer to ASU transfer.asu.edu/credits
- How to transfer to ASU from a Two-Year school transfer.asu.edu/ CommunityColleges
Maricopa County Community College District (MCCCD) transfer students transfer.asu.edu/maricopa
- Courses may fulfill Arizona General Education Curriculum (AGEC) or Associate’s degree requirements, consult with your community college academic advisor for details.
- MCCCD course transfer equivalencies are listed here; they may be applied toward this concentration (maximum of six credits or two courses).
- Information listed was current for this catalog year at the time of printing, consult transfer.asu.edu/maricopa for verification.