Computational Mathematical Sciences
The computational mathematical sciences curriculum provides students with a background in computer science and the natural or physical sciences in addition to a core of course work in mathematics.
- Students must complete 18 - 20 credit hours, which must include 12 upper division hours for this concentration.
- All courses must be completed with a grade of “C” (2.00) or higher.
- A minimum 6 upper division hours must be taken in courses offered by the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.
- It is recommended that students take MAT 243 Discrete Mathematical Structures.
- To enhance the understanding of the subject matter, the selected courses are sequential in nature and require certain prerequisites. Consequently, students should carefully note the semester in which any of these courses are offered.
Core 9 to 11 Hours
MAT 271 Calculus with Analytic Geometry II MA (4)
MAT 266 Calculus for Engineers II (3) (MAT 271 & MAT 266 requires Prerequisites: MAT 265 or 270 with C or better; Students with credit for MAT 291 may not enroll in MAT 271)
MAT 272 Calculus with Analytic Geometry III MA (4)
MAT 267 Calculus for Engineers III (3) (MAT 272 & MAT 267 require Prerequisites: MAT 266 or 271 with C or better; Students with credit for MAT 272 may not enroll in MAT 267)
MAT 342 Linear Algebra (3) (Prerequisites: MAT 267 or 272 with C or better; Credit for MAT 342 or 343)
MAT 343 Applied Linear Algebra (3) (Prerequisites: MAT 266 or 271 with C or better; Credit for MAT 342 or 343)
Electives 9 Upper Division Hours Required
MAT 420 Scientific Computing (3) (Prerequisites: with “C” or better: CSE 205; MAT 274 (or MAT 275); MAT 342 (or MAT 343))
(MAT 420 is offered in fall sessions only)
MAT 421 Applied Computational Methods CS (3) (Prerequisites: MAT 272 (or 267) with C or better)
(MAT 421 is offered in spring sessions only)
MAT 423 Numerical Analysis I CS (3) (Prerequisites: MAT 342 (or 343) with C or better)
(MAT 423 is offered in fall sessions only)
MAT 425 Numerical Analysis II CS (3) (Prerequisites: MAT 274 (or 275) with C or better; MAT 371 recommended)
(MAT 425 is offered in spring sessions only)