The art history concentration is designed for those students who are interested in a broad introduction to the study of the history of art. In giving a broad chronological exposure to the history of art from diverse cultures, the concentration strengthens academic preparation and provides students with many options to select courses based on their individual interests.
- Students must complete a minimum of 18 credit hours including 12 of upper division hours for this concentration.
- All courses must be completed with a grade of “C” (2.00) or higher.
- A minimum of 12 semester hours of resident credit is required.
- ARS 100 or ARS 300 may not be used toward a BIS concentration.
- A seminar is strongly recommended for those considering graduate study.
- Students need to be aware of lower-division prerequisites for all upper-division courses.
- M Course transfer equivalent available from Maricopa County Community College District, see details below.
- Students should consult a Herberger Institute for Design and the Arts academic advisor to ensure that an appropriate set of courses is taken.
Core 6 hours
Select two of the following courses:
ARS 101 Art from Prehistory through Middle Ages, HU & H (3)M
ARS 102 Art from Renaissance to Present, HU & H (3)M
ARS 201 Art of Asia, HU & H & G (3)
ARS 202 Art of Africa, Oceania, and the Americas, HU & H & G (3)
Art History 12 hours Upper Division
Select in consultation with an advisor.
Any ARS 300 level courses (except ARS 300)
Any ARS 400 level courses
All Interdisciplinary Studies students are required to complete a 12 credit hour core.
BIS 301, BIS 302 and BIS 402 courses require:
A meeting with your academic advisor to:
Ensure both of your concentration areas have been declared
Are working towards completing (or have completed) 1-2 courses in each declared concentration
- One course meeting general studies MA requirement
- ENG 102 or ENG 105 or ENG 108 or First Year Composition Completed
- Minimum 2.00 GPA
Required Courses (12 credit hours):
BIS 301 Foundations of Interdisciplinary Studies, L (3)
BIS 302 Interdisciplinary Inquiry (3)
Prerequisite(s): BIS 301 with C or better
BIS 401 Applied Interdisciplinary Studies (3) (requires application)
Prerequisites: BIS 301 with C or better; BIS 302 with C or better; Minimum of two courses completed in each concentration area
BIS 402 Senior Seminar, L (3)
Prerequisite(s): BIS 301 with C or better; BIS 302 with C or better
For important information, additional major requirements, course descriptions, and application deadlines: Interdisciplinary Studies Core Courses
For assistance in selecting your concentration areas of study complete the Interdisciplinary Studies concentration workshop: Interdisciplinary Studies Pre-Advising Workshop
Transfer to ASU transfer.asu.edu
- How credits transfer to ASU transfer.asu.edu/credits
- How to transfer to ASU from a Two-Year school transfer.asu.edu/ CommunityColleges
Maricopa County Community College District (MCCCD) transfer students transfer.asu.edu/maricopa
- Courses may fulfill Arizona General Education Curriculum (AGEC) or Associate’s degree requirements, consult with your community college academic advisor for details.
- MCCCD course transfer equivalencies are listed here; they may be applied toward this concentration (maximum of six credits or two courses).
- Information listed was current for this catalog year at the time of printing, consult transfer.asu.edu/maricopa for verification.