Students pursuing a concentration in French gain an understanding of the language, literature, and cultures of French speaking peoples and regions. There are opportunities to partake in study abroad programs, which can serve to enhance a student's experience and education.
- Students must complete a minimum of 18 credit hours including 12 of upper division hours for this concentration.
- Lower-division (100-200 level) courses are not applicable to the concentration.
- All courses must be completed with a grade of “C” (2.00) or higher, Pass/Fail courses cannot be used.
- A minimum 6 upper division hours must be taken at the Tempe campus.
- Course substitutions are allowed for heritage and advanced speakers of the language. See an advisor in the School of International Letters and Cultures for details.
Core 12 Hours Required
Choose elective courses from the following:
Select in consultation with an advisor.
FRE 305 Readings in French Literature, G (3) (FRE 202 with C or better. Students may not enroll in FRE 305 if credit earned in FRE 321 or 322)
FRE 311 French Conversation, G (3) (Prerequisites: FRE 202 with C or better. Credit is allowed for only FRE 311 or FRE 411)
FRE 312 French Composition, G (3) (Prerequisite: FRE 202 with C or better; Credit is allowed for only FRE 312 or 412)
FRE 321 French Literature, L/HU, H (3) OR FRE 322 French Literature, L/HU (3) (Prerequisites: FRE 305; FRE 312)
400 Level 3 Hours
Any FRE 400 level course
Electives 3 Hours
Any FRE 300 or 400 level course
All Interdisciplinary Studies students are required to complete a 12 credit hour core.
BIS 301, BIS 302 and BIS 402 courses require:
A meeting with your academic advisor to:
Ensure both of your concentration areas have been declared
Are working towards completing (or have completed) 1-2 courses in each declared concentration
- One course meeting general studies MA requirement
- ENG 102 or ENG 105 or ENG 108 or First Year Composition Completed
- Minimum 2.00 GPA
Required Courses (12 credit hours):
BIS 301 Foundations of Interdisciplinary Studies, L (3)
BIS 302 Interdisciplinary Inquiry (3)
Prerequisite(s): BIS 301 with C or better
BIS 401 Applied Interdisciplinary Studies (3) (requires application)
Prerequisites: BIS 301 with C or better; BIS 302 with C or better; Minimum of two courses completed in each concentration area
BIS 402 Senior Seminar, L (3)
Prerequisite(s): BIS 301 with C or better; BIS 302 with C or better
For important information, additional major requirements, course descriptions, and application deadlines: Interdisciplinary Studies Core Courses
For assistance in selecting your concentration areas of study complete the Interdisciplinary Studies concentration workshop: Interdisciplinary Studies Pre-Advising Workshop
Transfer to ASU transfer.asu.edu
- How credits transfer to ASU transfer.asu.edu/credits
- How to transfer to ASU from a Two-Year school transfer.asu.edu/ CommunityColleges
Maricopa County Community College District (MCCCD) transfer students transfer.asu.edu/maricopa
- Courses may fulfill Arizona General Education Curriculum (AGEC) or Associate’s degree requirements, consult with your community college academic advisor for details.
- MCCCD course transfer equivalencies are listed here; they may be applied toward this concentration (maximum of six credits or two courses).
- Information listed was current for this catalog year at the time of printing, consult transfer.asu.edu/maricopa for verification.