Biological sciences encompasses the study of all living things and includes the study of basic organization and function, how organisms evolve, their roles in the natural environment, how hereditary information is transferred and the development of biotechnology. The Biological Sciences concentration is designed to provide students interested in the biological sciences with a flexible curriculum that can be tailored to their interests.
- Students must complete a minimum of 24 credit hours including 12 of upper division courses in the life sciences and at least 6 upper division hours taken with the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.
- All courses must be completed with a grade of “C” (2.00) or higher.
- Internship courses are not accepted as fulfilling the 24 credit hour requirement.
- Elective hours are to be selected with the approval of a School of Life Science’s advisor.
- Courses which are not available for credit in the Life Sciences majors cannot be used for the concentration (e.g. BIO 100 The Living World, BIO 201 Human Anatomy and Physiology I, and BIO 202 Human Anatomy and Physiology II).
- Prerequisites required in addtion to listed concentration courses:
- CHM 113 General Chemistry I, SQ (4) (Prerequisite(s): CHM 101 with C or better or ALEKS score of 61 or higher OR Pre- or corequisite(s): MAT 170, 171, 210, 251, 265 or 270 with C or better if completed)
- CHM 116 General Chemistry II, SQ (4) (Prerequisite(s): CHM 113, 114, or 117 with C or better)
Core 1: 12 hours
BIO 281 Conceptual Approaches to Biology for Majors I, SQ (4) (Prerequisite(s): Credit is allowed for only BIO 181 or BIO 182 or BIO 281)
BIO 282 Conceptual Approaches to Biology for Majors II, SQ (4) (Prerequisite(s): BIO 281 with C or better; Credit is allowed for only BIO 181 or BIO 182 or BIO 282)
BIO 340 General Genetics (4) (Prerequisites: C or better: BIO 181 (or BIO 188 or MBB 245) and BIO 182 (or BIO 187 or MBB 247, or both PLB 200 and PLB 201))
MBB 347 Molecular Genetics: From Genes to Proteins (4) (Prerequisite(s): BIO 282 with C or better or BIO 181 and 182 with C or better; CHM 116 with C or better; Credit is allowed for only BIO 340 or MBB 347)
Core 2: 3-4 Hours
BIO 345 Evolution (3) (Pre- or corequisite(s): BIO 340 or LSC 347 or MBB 347 with C or better)
MIC 220 Biology of Microorganisms (3) (Prerequisite(s): BIO 181 or 281 with C or better; CHM 116)
MIC 206 Biology of Microorganisms/Lab, SG (1) (Pre- or corequisite(s): MIC 205 or 220 with C or better if completed)
Electives 8-9 hours
Select Upper Division hours as needed to meet the 12 hour requirement.
Select in consultation with a School of Life Science’s advisor.
*Maximum 3 hours credit for BIO/MIC/MBB 484 or 495
MIC 220 Biology of Microorganisms (3) (Prerequisite(s): BIO 181 or 281 with C or better; CHM 116) AND MIC 206 Biology of Microorganisms/Lab (1) ( Pre-or Co-requisites: MIC 205 or MIC 220 (with a C or better if completed))
Any BIO 300 or BIO 400 (except BIO 300, 301, 319, 336, 390, 490, 499, 484)
Any MIC 300 or MIC 400 (except MIC 402)
Any MBB 300 or MBB 400
Any PLB 300 or PLB 200 (except PLB 320)
NOT FROM: BIO 100, BIO 201, BIO 202, MIC 205
Interdisciplinary Studies Advising
Arizona Center, Suite 380
Santa Catalina Hall
Urban Systems Engineering