Physics is concerned with the nature, structure and interactions of matter and radiation. Pairing physics to another concentration of study provides a student with the fundamental scientific basis to address the most challenging opportunities faced in a student's career.
- Students must complete a minimum of 24 credit hours including 12 of upper division hours for this concentration.
- All courses must be completed with a grade of “C” (2.00) or higher.
- Upper division electives must be selected with the approval of a Physics advisor.
- *Both PHY 121 and PHY 122 must be taken to secure SQ credit.
- **Both PHY 131 and PHY 132 must be taken to secure SQ credit.
Core 8 Hours Required
Choose between the following course combinations:
PHY 150 Physics I, SQ (4) (Prerequisites: MAT 265 or MAT 270 with C or better; Pre/Co-requisites: MAT 266 or MAT 271 with C or better if completed)
PHY 151 Physics II, SQ (4) (Prerequisites: MAT 266 or MAT 271 with C or better; PHY 150 or PHY 121 and PHY 122 with C or better; Pre or Co-requisite: MAT 267 or MAT 272 (with C or better if completed))
PHY 121 & 122* University Physics I: Mechanics & Lab, SQ (3/1) (Prerequisites: MAT 265 or MAT 270 with C or better; Pre/Co-requisites: MAT 266 or MAT 271 with C or better if completed)
PHY 131 & 132** University Physics II: Electricity and Magnetism & Lab, SQ (3) (Prerequisites: MAT 266 or MAT 271 with C or better; PHY 121 with C or better; Pre/Co-requisite: MAT 267 or MAT 272 with C or better if completed)
Additional Core 9-10 Hours
PHY 252 Physics III, SQ (Required) (4) (Prerequisites: MAT 272 or MAT 267 C or better; PHY 151 (or PHY131 & PHY132) with C or better)
PHY 333 Electronic Circuits and Measurements (3) (Prerequisites: MAT 272 or MAT 267; PHY 151 (or PHY131 & PHY132) with C or better)
OR PHY 334 Advanced Laboratory I (2) (Prerequisites: MAT 272 or MAT 267 with C or better; PHY 151 (or PHY 131 and PHY 132) with C or better; Co-requisites: PHY 314, PHY 361, CHM 345 or EEE 434)
PHY 361 Introductory Modern Physics (Required) (3) (PHY 131 or PHY 151 with C or better; MAT 272 or MAT 267 with C or better)
Upper Division Electives 6-7 Hours
To be selected with the approval of a Physics advisor.
All Interdisciplinary Studies students are required to complete a 12 credit hour core.
BIS 301, BIS 302 and BIS 402 courses require:
A meeting with your academic advisor to:
Ensure both of your concentration areas have been declared
Are working towards completing (or have completed) 1-2 courses in each declared concentration
- One course meeting general studies MA requirement
- ENG 102 or ENG 105 or ENG 108 or First Year Composition Completed
- Minimum 2.00 GPA
Required Courses (12 credit hours):
BIS 301 Foundations of Interdisciplinary Studies, L (3)
BIS 302 Interdisciplinary Inquiry (3)
Prerequisite(s): BIS 301 with C or better
BIS 401 Applied Interdisciplinary Studies (3) (requires application)
Prerequisites: BIS 301 with C or better; BIS 302 with C or better; Minimum of two courses completed in each concentration area
BIS 402 Senior Seminar, L (3)
Prerequisite(s): BIS 301 with C or better; BIS 302 with C or better
For important information, additional major requirements, course descriptions, and application deadlines: Interdisciplinary Studies Core Courses
For assistance in selecting your concentration areas of study complete the Interdisciplinary Studies concentration workshop: Interdisciplinary Studies Pre-Advising Workshop
Transfer to ASU transfer.asu.edu
- How credits transfer to ASU transfer.asu.edu/credits
- How to transfer to ASU from a Two-Year school transfer.asu.edu/ CommunityColleges
Maricopa County Community College District (MCCCD) transfer students transfer.asu.edu/maricopa
- Courses may fulfill Arizona General Education Curriculum (AGEC) or Associate’s degree requirements, consult with your community college academic advisor for details.
- MCCCD course transfer equivalencies are listed here; they may be applied toward this concentration (maximum of six credits or two courses).
- Information listed was current for this catalog year at the time of printing, consult transfer.asu.edu/maricopa for verification.