The urban planning concentration introduces students to the field of urban planning. Students can select courses that include administration, comprehensive planning, computer and analytical methods, planning law, public-policy formulation, site planning, socioeconomic and environmental analysis or urban design. Many students continue to specialize in planning at the graduate level. Students in urban planning are exposed to the theories, methods, and practices of the profession.
- Students must complete a minimum of 18 credit hours including 12 of upper division hours for this concentration.
- All courses must be completed with a grade of “C” (2.00) or higher.
Introduction Core 3 Hours
PUP 301 Introduction to Urban Planning, L (3)
Electives 15 Hours Required
9 Hours must be Upper Division Hours
Choose elective courses from the following:
PUP 190 Sustainable Cities, (HU or SB) & G (3)
PUP 200 Cities in Cinema, HU & H & G (3)
PUP 363 History of Planning (3)
PUP 410 Public Participation in Planning (3)
PUP 412 History of the City, (L or HU) & H (3) (Prerequisites: 45 completed hours; Credit for APH 414 or PUP 412 only)
PUP 420 Theory of Urban Design, HU (3)
PUP 425 Urban Housing Analysis (3) (Prerequisites: 45 hours; Students who have credit for PUP 525 may not enroll in PUP 425)
PUP 430 Transportation Planning and the Environment (3)
PUP 432 Planning and Development Control Law (3)
PUP 433 Zoning Ordinances, Subdivision Regulations, and Building Codes (3)
PUP 436 City Structure and Planning (3)
PUP 442 Environmental Planning (3)
PUP 444 Preservation Planning (3)
PUP 445 Women and Environments, C (3) (Prerequisites: Must be Junior or Senior. Students with credit for PUP 527, may not enroll in PUP 444
PUP 452 Ethics and Theory in Planning, L (3)
PUP 465 Sustainable Urbanism (3) (Prerequisites: Credit allowed for SOS 465, PUP 465 or PUP 565 only. Minimum 45 earned hours. Sustainability majors/students in a sustainability concentration: SOS 110; SOS 111(or PUP 190) with C or better.)
PUP 484 Internship (1-12)
PUP 485 International Field Studies in Planning, G (3) (Prerequisite: Junior standing; Credit is allowed for only GCU 485 or GPH 485 or LAP 485 or POR 485 or PUP 485 or 585)
PUP 494 Special Topics (1-4)
All Interdisciplinary Studies students are required to complete a 12 credit hour core.
BIS 301, BIS 302 and BIS 402 courses require:
A meeting with your academic advisor to:
Ensure both of your concentration areas have been declared
Are working towards completing (or have completed) 1-2 courses in each declared concentration
- One course meeting general studies MA requirement
- ENG 102 or ENG 105 or ENG 108 or First Year Composition Completed
- Minimum 2.00 GPA
Required Courses (12 credit hours):
BIS 301 Foundations of Interdisciplinary Studies, L (3)
BIS 302 Interdisciplinary Inquiry (3)
Prerequisite(s): BIS 301 with C or better
BIS 401 Applied Interdisciplinary Studies (3) (requires application)
Prerequisites: BIS 301 with C or better; BIS 302 with C or better; Minimum of two courses completed in each concentration area
BIS 402 Senior Seminar, L (3)
Prerequisite(s): BIS 301 with C or better; BIS 302 with C or better
For important information, additional major requirements, course descriptions, and application deadlines: Interdisciplinary Studies Core Courses
For assistance in selecting your concentration areas of study complete the Interdisciplinary Studies concentration workshop: Interdisciplinary Studies Pre-Advising Workshop
Transfer to ASU transfer.asu.edu
- How credits transfer to ASU transfer.asu.edu/credits
- How to transfer to ASU from a Two-Year school transfer.asu.edu/ CommunityColleges
Maricopa County Community College District (MCCCD) transfer students transfer.asu.edu/maricopa
- Courses may fulfill Arizona General Education Curriculum (AGEC) or Associate’s degree requirements, consult with your community college academic advisor for details.
- MCCCD course transfer equivalencies are listed here; they may be applied toward this concentration (maximum of six credits or two courses).
- Information listed was current for this catalog year at the time of printing, consult transfer.asu.edu/maricopa for verification.