Special Events Management*
The concentration in special events management is designed to offer students a solid understanding of special event programming and management. In addition to the two-tiered special event course, which provides both basic and advanced instruction as well as experiential learning opportunities through event production, students will be able to select electives to meet their interests.
- Students must complete a minimum of 18 credit hours for this concentration, including 12 upper division hours which must be completed at ASU.
- All courses must be completed with a grade of “C” (2.00) or higher.
- * TDM 205 does not meet upper division course requirements; however, it is a prerequisite for upper division courses TDM 345, TDM 350 & PRM 484.
- PRM 487 is only offered during spring sessions
- PRM 304 is only offered during fall sessions.
- M - Course transfer equivalent available from Maricopa County Community College District, details are provided on the Transfer Information tab.
Core 6 Hours
PRM 486 Special Events Management (3)
PRM 487 Advanced Special Events Management (3) (Prerequisites: PRM 486 with C or better. Credit is allowed for only PRM 487 or RTM 487) (offered during spring sessions only)
Electives 12 Hours Required
Choose elective courses from the following:
NLM 300 Fundraising & Resource Development (3)
PRM 303 Program Planning (3) (Prerequisites: NLM 160 or PRM 120 with C or better; MAT 142 with C or better; 2.5 GPA)
PRM 304 Recreation Planning/Facility Development (3) (Prerequisites: Parks & Rec Mgmt, Rec & Tourism or Nonprofit Leadership & Mgmt student; Min 2.50 cum GPA; min 45 hours; MAT 142 or better; PRM 210 (or NLM 210, TDM 210) with C or better) (offered during fall sessions only)
PRM 475 Entrepreneurial Recreation and Tourism (3) (Prerequisites: Must have earned grade of C or better in PRM 120 or REC 120.)
PRM 484 Internship (Prerequisites: TDM 205 or NLM 220 or PRM 210; Minimum 72 hours; Minimum 2.50 GPA; Non-SCRD majors)
TDM 205 Intro to Travel and Tourism* (3)M
TDM 345 Meeting and Convention Planning (3) (Prerequisites: TDM 205 or RTM 373 with C or better)
TDM 350 Tourism Marketing (3) (Prerequisites: TDM 205 or RTM 373 with C or better; Minimum 45 hours)
TDM 458 International Tourism, G (3)
All Interdisciplinary Studies students are required to complete a 12 credit hour core.
BIS 301, BIS 302 and BIS 402 courses require:
A meeting with your academic advisor to:
Ensure both of your concentration areas have been declared
Are working towards completing (or have completed) 1-2 courses in each declared concentration
- One course meeting general studies MA requirement
- ENG 102 or ENG 105 or ENG 108 or First Year Composition Completed
- Minimum 2.00 GPA
Required Courses (12 credit hours):
BIS 301 Foundations of Interdisciplinary Studies, L (3)
BIS 302 Interdisciplinary Inquiry (3)
Prerequisite(s): BIS 301 with C or better
BIS 401 Applied Interdisciplinary Studies (3) (requires application)
Prerequisites: BIS 301 with C or better; BIS 302 with C or better; Minimum of two courses completed in each concentration area
BIS 402 Senior Seminar, L (3)
Prerequisite(s): BIS 301 with C or better; BIS 302 with C or better
For important information, additional major requirements, course descriptions, and application deadlines: Interdisciplinary Studies Core Courses
For assistance in selecting your concentration areas of study complete the Interdisciplinary Studies concentration workshop: Interdisciplinary Studies Pre-Advising Workshop
Transfer to ASU transfer.asu.edu
- How credits transfer to ASU transfer.asu.edu/credits
- How to transfer to ASU from a Two-Year school transfer.asu.edu/ CommunityColleges
Maricopa County Community College District (MCCCD) transfer students transfer.asu.edu/maricopa
- Courses may fulfill Arizona General Education Curriculum (AGEC) or Associate’s degree requirements, consult with your community college academic advisor for details.
- MCCCD course transfer equivalencies are listed here; they may be applied toward this concentration (maximum of six credits or two courses).
- Information listed was current for this catalog year at the time of printing, consult transfer.asu.edu/maricopa for verification.