Southeast Asian Studies
The concentration in Southeast Asian studies complements other concentrations by providing students with knowledge of a Southeast Asian language and knowledge of Southeast Asian history, art, culture and society. This concentration prepares students for admission to graduate programs in Southeast Asian-area studies or in an academic discipline with a focus on Southeast Asia, or for advanced programs in international law, journalism, business or other professional fields.
- Students must complete a minimum of 18 credit hours including 12 of upper division hours for this concentration.
- All courses must be completed with a grade of “C” (2.00) or higher.
- A minimum 6 upper division hours must be taken in courses offered by the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.
Student must demonstrate language proficiency through the intermediate level (202 level or higher) in one of the following languages: Indonesian, Thai, or Vietnamese.
IDN 202 Intermediate Indonesian II, G (5) (Prerequisites: IDN 201 with C or better)
THA 202 Intermediate Thai II, G (5) (Prerequisites: THA 201 with C or better)
VTN 202 Intermediate Vietnamese II, G (5) (Prerequisites: TVN 201 with C or better)
Introduction 3 Hours Required
ASB/GCU/HST/POS/REL/SGS 240 Introduction to Southeast Asia, (HU or SB) & G (3)
ASB Anthropology (Social and Behavioral) 3 Hours
ASB 325 Peoples of Southeast Asia, G (3)
History 3 Hours
HST 391 Modern Southeast Asia (3)
Electives 6 Upper Division Hours
Additional courses may be available, select in consultation with an advisor.
Choose elective courses from the following:
ASB 494 Special Topics [*SOUTHEAST* AS*] (1-4)
ARS 394 Special Topics [*VIETNAM*] (1-4)
ARS 394 Special Topics [*SOUTHEAST* AS*] (1-4)
GCU 433 Geography of Southeast Asia (3)
HST 456 The Vietnam War, SB (3)
MUP 489 Special Topics [*GAMELAN*]
PUP 494 Special Topics [*GLOB*]
POS 358 Southeast Asia (3)
REL 357 Theravada Buddhism In South and Southeast Asia, L and G (3)
REL 405 Problems in Religious Studies-selected topics: [*LIT* SOUTH*] (3) (Prerequisites: Must be an undergraduate Religious Studies student)
SLC 420 [*SOUTHEAST *ASIA* LIT*]
Capstone 3 Hours
HST 496 South, Southeast, and East Asia in the Global Matrix (3) (Offered in the spring only)
All Interdisciplinary Studies students are required to complete a 12 credit hour core.
BIS 301, BIS 302 and BIS 402 courses require:
A meeting with your academic advisor to:
Ensure both of your concentration areas have been declared
Are working towards completing (or have completed) 1-2 courses in each declared concentration
- One course meeting general studies MA requirement
- ENG 102 or ENG 105 or ENG 108 or First Year Composition Completed
- Minimum 2.00 GPA
Required Courses (12 credit hours):
BIS 301 Foundations of Interdisciplinary Studies, L (3)
BIS 302 Interdisciplinary Inquiry (3)
Prerequisite(s): BIS 301 with C or better
BIS 401 Applied Interdisciplinary Studies (3) (requires application)
Prerequisites: BIS 301 with C or better; BIS 302 with C or better; Minimum of two courses completed in each concentration area
BIS 402 Senior Seminar, L (3)
Prerequisite(s): BIS 301 with C or better; BIS 302 with C or better
For important information, additional major requirements, course descriptions, and application deadlines: Interdisciplinary Studies Core Courses
For assistance in selecting your concentration areas of study complete the Interdisciplinary Studies concentration workshop: Interdisciplinary Studies Pre-Advising Workshop
Transfer to ASU transfer.asu.edu
- How credits transfer to ASU transfer.asu.edu/credits
- How to transfer to ASU from a Two-Year school transfer.asu.edu/ CommunityColleges
Maricopa County Community College District (MCCCD) transfer students transfer.asu.edu/maricopa
- Courses may fulfill Arizona General Education Curriculum (AGEC) or Associate’s degree requirements, consult with your community college academic advisor for details.
- MCCCD course transfer equivalencies are listed here; they may be applied toward this concentration (maximum of six credits or two courses).
- Information listed was current for this catalog year at the time of printing, consult transfer.asu.edu/maricopa for verification.