Psychology is the scientific study of the behavior and mental processes of individuals and groups. The study of psychology includes basic and applied courses in the subfields of clinical, developmental, organizational, cross-cultural and social psychology, cognitive systems and behavioral neuroscience. The psychology concentration prepares students for immediate employment, as well as for admission to graduate and professional schools. The program emphasizes the development of wide-ranging skills in critical thinking and reasoning, quantitative and qualitative research methods, working collaboratively on teams and presentation of information in oral and written form.
- Students must complete a minimum of 22 credit hours for this concentration.
- All courses must be completed with a grade of “C” (2.00) or better.
- Maximum of 3 upper division hours of PGS 399, PGS 499 and PSY 499 may be used.
- * Course Prerequisites: Must have completed PSY 290 with a grade of C or greater.
- A minimum 6 upper division hours must be taken in courses offered by the New College of Interdisciplinary Arts and Sciences.
- M - Course transfer equivalent available from Maricopa County Community College District, details are provided on the Transfer Information tab.
Foundations of Psychological Science 10 hours required
PSY/PGS 101 Introduction to Psychology, SB (3)M
PSY 230 Introduction to Statistics, CS (3)M (Prerequisite(s): PSY 101 (PGS 101) with C or better; MAT 119, 170, 242, 243, 251, 260, 261, 262, 270, 271, 272, 274, 290 or 291 with C or better)
PSY 290 Research Methods, L or SG (4)M (Prerequisite(s): PSY 101 (PGS 101) with C or better; ECN 221, JUS 302, POS 401, PSY 230, 231, QBA 221, SOC 390 or STP 226 with C or better)
Social & Developmental Core 3 hours required
Choose 1 course from the following
PSY 315 Personality Theory and Research, SB (3) (Prerequisite(s): PSY 101 (PGS 101) with C or better; Minimum 45 hours OR PSY 290 with C or better)
PSY 341 Developmental Psychology, SB (3) (Prerequisite(s): PSY 101 (PGS 101) with C or better; Minimum 45 hours OR PSY 290 with C or better)
PSY 350 Social Psychology, SB (3) (Prerequisite(s): PSY 101 (PGS 101) with C or better; Credit is allowed for only PSY 351 (PGS 351) or PSY 350 (PGS 350))
PSY 443 Abnormal Child Psychology, L or SB (3) (Prerequisite(s): PSY 315 (PGS 315), 341, or PSY 366 (PGS 466) with C or better; PSY 290 with C or better)
PSY 462 Health Psychology (3)*
PSY 466 Abnormal Psychology, SB (3) (Prerequisites: MUE 381 or PSY 290 with a grade of C or greater)
Neuroscience Core 6 hours required choose 2 courses
You MUST take 1 of the following courses:
PSY 320 Learning and Motivation (3)*
PSY 323 Sensation and Perception (3)*
PSY 324 Memory and Cognition (3)*
PSY 325 Physiological Psychology (3) (Prerequisites: PSY 290 or 2 of the following courses with C or better: BIO 181 (or 188), 182 (or 187), 201, 202)
PSY 330 Statistical Methods (3) (Prerequisite(s): ECN 221, JUS 302, POS 401, PSY 230, 231, QBA 221, SOC 390, 395 or STP 226 with C or better)
PSY 369 Biology of Human Sexuality (3) (Prerequisites: PSY (PGS) 101 with C or better; completed one semester of Biology)
PSY 470 Psychopharmacology (3) (Prerequisite(s): PSY 325 AND one of the following: BIO 181 (or 188), 182 (or 187), 201, 202, ZOL 201 or ZOL 202 AND one of the following: CHM 113, 114, 115, 116, 117 or 118, with C or better)
Psychology Upper Division elective 3 hours maximum
Select in consultation with an advisor.
Maximum 3 Hours of PGS 399, PGS 499 and PSY 499 may be used.
All Interdisciplinary Studies students are required to complete a 12 credit hour core.
BIS 301, BIS 302 and BIS 402 courses require:
A meeting with your academic advisor to:
Ensure both of your concentration areas have been declared
Are working towards completing (or have completed) 1-2 courses in each declared concentration
- One course meeting general studies MA requirement
- ENG 102 or ENG 105 or ENG 108 or First Year Composition Completed
- Minimum 2.00 GPA
Required Courses (12 credit hours):
BIS 301 Foundations of Interdisciplinary Studies, L (3)
BIS 302 Interdisciplinary Inquiry (3)
Prerequisite(s): BIS 301 with C or better
BIS 401 Applied Interdisciplinary Studies (3) (requires application)
Prerequisites: BIS 301 with C or better; BIS 302 with C or better; Minimum of two courses completed in each concentration area
BIS 402 Senior Seminar, L (3)
Prerequisite(s): BIS 301 with C or better; BIS 302 with C or better
For important information, additional major requirements, course descriptions, and application deadlines: Interdisciplinary Studies Core Courses
For assistance in selecting your concentration areas of study complete the Interdisciplinary Studies concentration workshop: Interdisciplinary Studies Pre-Advising Workshop
Transfer to ASU transfer.asu.edu
- How credits transfer to ASU transfer.asu.edu/credits
- How to transfer to ASU from a Two-Year school transfer.asu.edu/ CommunityColleges
Maricopa County Community College District (MCCCD) transfer students transfer.asu.edu/maricopa
- Courses may fulfill Arizona General Education Curriculum (AGEC) or Associate’s degree requirements, consult with your community college academic advisor for details.
- MCCCD course transfer equivalencies are listed here; they may be applied toward this concentration (maximum of six credits or two courses).
- Information listed was current for this catalog year at the time of printing, consult transfer.asu.edu/maricopa for verification.