The concentration in political science offers students the necessary skills and knowledge to participate effectively as citizens in a democratic political system and to flourish in the rapidly developing globalization of the world's political institutions, cultures and economies. The concentration aims to provide students with the tools and skills necessary to make connections linking theory with real world problems and issues.
- Students must complete a minimum of 18 credit hours including 12 of upper division hours for this concentration.
- A minimum of 6 upper division credit hours must be taken in courses offered through the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.
- All courses must be completed with a grade of “C” (2.00) or higher.
- No more than 3 hours of POS 484 Internship and 3 hours of POS 499 Individualized Instruction may be applied to the concentration.
- M - Course transfer equivalent available from Maricopa County Community College District, details are provided on the Transfer Information tab.
Core 6 Hours
POS 210 Political Ideologies, SB (3)M
POS 110 Government and Politics, SB (3)M (Credit allowed for only POL 110, 310, POS 110 or 310)
OR POS 310 American National Government, SB (3) (Credit allowed for only POL 110, 310, POS 110 or 310)
POS 150 Comparative Government, SB & G (3)M
POS 160 Global Politics, SB & G (3) (Credit allowed for only POL 160, POS 360 or POL 360)
Electives 12 Hours Upper Division Required
Select in consultation with an advisor.
Any POS 100, 200, 300, 400
(NOT FROM POS 110, POS 211, POS 310)
All Interdisciplinary Studies students are required to complete a 12 credit hour core.
BIS 301, BIS 302 and BIS 402 courses require:
A meeting with your academic advisor to:
Ensure both of your concentration areas have been declared
Are working towards completing (or have completed) 1-2 courses in each declared concentration
- One course meeting general studies MA requirement
- ENG 102 or ENG 105 or ENG 108 or First Year Composition Completed
- Minimum 2.00 GPA
Required Courses (12 credit hours):
BIS 301 Foundations of Interdisciplinary Studies, L (3)
BIS 302 Interdisciplinary Inquiry (3)
Prerequisite(s): BIS 301 with C or better
BIS 401 Applied Interdisciplinary Studies (3) (requires application)
Prerequisites: BIS 301 with C or better; BIS 302 with C or better; Minimum of two courses completed in each concentration area
BIS 402 Senior Seminar, L (3)
Prerequisite(s): BIS 301 with C or better; BIS 302 with C or better
For important information, additional major requirements, course descriptions, and application deadlines: Interdisciplinary Studies Core Courses
For assistance in selecting your concentration areas of study complete the Interdisciplinary Studies concentration workshop: Interdisciplinary Studies Pre-Advising Workshop
Transfer to ASU transfer.asu.edu
- How credits transfer to ASU transfer.asu.edu/credits
- How to transfer to ASU from a Two-Year school transfer.asu.edu/ CommunityColleges
Maricopa County Community College District (MCCCD) transfer students transfer.asu.edu/maricopa
- Courses may fulfill Arizona General Education Curriculum (AGEC) or Associate’s degree requirements, consult with your community college academic advisor for details.
- MCCCD course transfer equivalencies are listed here; they may be applied toward this concentration (maximum of six credits or two courses).
- Information listed was current for this catalog year at the time of printing, consult transfer.asu.edu/maricopa for verification.