Computational Mathematical Sciences
The computational mathematical sciences curriculum provides students with a background in computer science and the natural or physical sciences in addition to a core of course work in mathematics.
- Students must complete 18 - 20 credit hours, which must include 12 upper division hours for this concentration.
- All courses must be completed with a grade of “C” (2.00) or higher.
- A minimum 6 upper division hours must be taken in courses offered by the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.
- It is recommended that students take MAT 243 Discrete Mathematical Structures.
- To enhance the understanding of the subject matter, the selected courses are sequential in nature and require certain prerequisites. Consequently, students should carefully note the semester in which any of these courses are offered.
Core 9 to 11 Hours
MAT 271 Calculus with Analytic Geometry II MA (4)
MAT 266 Calculus for Engineers II (3) (MAT 271 & MAT 266 requires Prerequisites: MAT 265 or 270 with C or better; Students with credit for MAT 291 may not enroll in MAT 271)
MAT 272 Calculus with Analytic Geometry III MA (4)
MAT 267 Calculus for Engineers III (3) (MAT 272 & MAT 267 require Prerequisites: MAT 266 or 271 with C or better; Students with credit for MAT 272 may not enroll in MAT 267)
MAT 342 Linear Algebra (3) (Prerequisites: MAT 267 or 272 with C or better; Credit for MAT 342 or 343)
MAT 343 Applied Linear Algebra (3) (Prerequisites: MAT 266 or 271 with C or better; Credit for MAT 342 or 343)
Electives 9 Upper Division Hours Required
MAT 420 Scientific Computing (3) (Prerequisites: with “C” or better: CSE 205; MAT 274 (or MAT 275); MAT 342 (or MAT 343))
(MAT 420 is offered in fall sessions only)
MAT 421 Applied Computational Methods CS (3) (Prerequisites: MAT 272 (or 267) with C or better)
(MAT 421 is offered in spring sessions only)
MAT 423 Numerical Analysis I CS (3) (Prerequisites: MAT 342 (or 343) with C or better)
(MAT 423 is offered in fall sessions only)
MAT 425 Numerical Analysis II CS (3) (Prerequisites: MAT 274 (or 275) with C or better; MAT 371 recommended)
(MAT 425 is offered in spring sessions only)
All Interdisciplinary Studies students are required to complete a 12 credit hour core.
BIS 301, BIS 302 and BIS 402 courses require:
A meeting with your academic advisor to:
Ensure both of your concentration areas have been declared
Are working towards completing (or have completed) 1-2 courses in each declared concentration
- One course meeting general studies MA requirement
- ENG 102 or ENG 105 or ENG 108 or First Year Composition Completed
- Minimum 2.00 GPA
Required Courses (12 credit hours):
BIS 301 Foundations of Interdisciplinary Studies, L (3)
BIS 302 Interdisciplinary Inquiry (3)
Prerequisite(s): BIS 301 with C or better
BIS 401 Applied Interdisciplinary Studies (3) (requires application)
Prerequisites: BIS 301 with C or better; BIS 302 with C or better; Minimum of two courses completed in each concentration area
BIS 402 Senior Seminar, L (3)
Prerequisite(s): BIS 301 with C or better; BIS 302 with C or better
For important information, additional major requirements, course descriptions, and application deadlines: Interdisciplinary Studies Core Courses
For assistance in selecting your concentration areas of study complete the Interdisciplinary Studies concentration workshop: Interdisciplinary Studies Pre-Advising Workshop
Transfer to ASU transfer.asu.edu
- How credits transfer to ASU transfer.asu.edu/credits
- How to transfer to ASU from a Two-Year school transfer.asu.edu/ CommunityColleges
Maricopa County Community College District (MCCCD) transfer students transfer.asu.edu/maricopa
- Courses may fulfill Arizona General Education Curriculum (AGEC) or Associate’s degree requirements, consult with your community college academic advisor for details.
- MCCCD course transfer equivalencies are listed here; they may be applied toward this concentration (maximum of six credits or two courses).
- Information listed was current for this catalog year at the time of printing, consult transfer.asu.edu/maricopa for verification.