Speech and Hearing Science
The speech and hearing science concentration is an academic program with emphasis on normal aspects of speech, language and hearing.
- Students must complete a minimum of 24 credit hours including 12 of upper division hours for this concentration.
- All courses must be completed with a grade of “C” (2.00) or higher.
- A minimum 6 upper division hours must be taken in courses offered by the Department of Speech and Hearing Science.
- Students are strongly encouraged to consult with an advisor from the Department of Speech and Hearing Science.
Core 12 Hours
SHS 105 Introduction to Human Communication Disorders (3)
SHS 250 Introduction to Phonetics (3)
SHS 310 Anatomical and Physiological Bases of Speech (3) (Prerequisites: BIO 201; PHY 101)
SHS 311 Physical and Physiological Bases of Hearing (3) (Prerequisites: BIO 201; PHY101; SHS 105)
Core 3 Hours
Choose course from the following:
SHS 367 Language Science, SB (3)
SHS 375 Speech Science (3) (Prerequisites: SHS 310; SHS 311)
Electives 9 Hours Required
Choose elective courses from the following:
SHS 401 Introduction to Audiology (3) (Prerequisites: SHS 311; Credit is allowed for only SHS 401 or 501)
SHS 402 Modifying Communicative Behavior (3) (Prerequisites: SHS 250)
SHS 465 Speech and Language Acquisition, SB (3) (Prerequisites: Credit is allowed for only SSH 465 or 565)
SHS 470 Developmental Speech and Language Disorders (3) (Prerequisites: SHS 465)
SHS 485 Acquired Speech and Language Disorders (3) (Pre-requisites: SHS 310)
SHS 496 Aural Rehabilitation (3) (Prerequisites: SHS 311, 375 and 401; Credit is allowed for only SHS 496 or 596)
All Interdisciplinary Studies students are required to complete a 12 credit hour core.
BIS 301, BIS 302 and BIS 402 courses require:
A meeting with your academic advisor to:
Ensure both of your concentration areas have been declared
Are working towards completing (or have completed) 1-2 courses in each declared concentration
- One course meeting general studies MA requirement
- ENG 102 or ENG 105 or ENG 108 or First Year Composition Completed
- Minimum 2.00 GPA
Required Courses (12 credit hours):
BIS 301 Foundations of Interdisciplinary Studies, L (3)
BIS 302 Interdisciplinary Inquiry (3)
Prerequisite(s): BIS 301 with C or better
BIS 401 Applied Interdisciplinary Studies (3) (requires application)
Prerequisites: BIS 301 with C or better; BIS 302 with C or better; Minimum of two courses completed in each concentration area
BIS 402 Senior Seminar, L (3)
Prerequisite(s): BIS 301 with C or better; BIS 302 with C or better
For important information, additional major requirements, course descriptions, and application deadlines: Interdisciplinary Studies Core Courses
For assistance in selecting your concentration areas of study complete the Interdisciplinary Studies concentration workshop: Interdisciplinary Studies Pre-Advising Workshop
Transfer to ASU transfer.asu.edu
- How credits transfer to ASU transfer.asu.edu/credits
- How to transfer to ASU from a Two-Year school transfer.asu.edu/ CommunityColleges
Maricopa County Community College District (MCCCD) transfer students transfer.asu.edu/maricopa
- Courses may fulfill Arizona General Education Curriculum (AGEC) or Associate’s degree requirements, consult with your community college academic advisor for details.
- MCCCD course transfer equivalencies are listed here; they may be applied toward this concentration (maximum of six credits or two courses).
- Information listed was current for this catalog year at the time of printing, consult transfer.asu.edu/maricopa for verification.