The physics concentration in the College of Integrative Sciences and Arts at the Polytechnic campus provides a rigorous foundation in physics with an emphasis on fundamental concepts and applied hands-on experience. It broadens and deepens students' understanding of their major and increases their options for graduate study and employment. The primary emphasis of the physics minor is to give students experience through applied and computational physics projects. The projects will be guided by faculty with expertise in the physics of semiconductors and graphene, quantum nano-optics, laser physics and materials science.
- Students must complete a minimum of 26 credit hours including 12 of upper division hours for this concentration.
- All courses must be completed with a grade of “C” (2.00) or higher.
- Pass/fail courses cannot be used for the concentration.
Core 14 Hours Required
PHY 121 University Physics I: Mechanics, SQ (3)
PHY 122 University Physics Laboratory I, SQ (1)
PHY 131 University Physics 11: Electricity and Magnetism, SQ (3)
PHY 132 University Physics Laboratory II, SQ (1)
PHY 314 Quantum Physics I (3)
PHY 361 Introductory Modern Physics (3)
Elective Courses 9 credit hours required
PHY 201 Mathematical Methods in Physics I (CS) (3)
PHY 302 Mathematical Methods in Physics II (3)
PHY 321 Vector Mechanics and Vibration (3)
PHY 331 Principles of Modern Electromagnetism (3)
Required project research 3 Hours required
Individual projects under guidance of physics faculty
PHY 495 Project Research
All Interdisciplinary Studies students are required to complete a 12 credit hour core.
BIS 301, BIS 302 and BIS 402 courses require:
A meeting with your academic advisor to:
Ensure both of your concentration areas have been declared
Are working towards completing (or have completed) 1-2 courses in each declared concentration
- One course meeting general studies MA requirement
- ENG 102 or ENG 105 or ENG 108 or First Year Composition Completed
- Minimum 2.00 GPA
Required Courses (12 credit hours):
BIS 301 Foundations of Interdisciplinary Studies, L (3)
BIS 302 Interdisciplinary Inquiry (3)
Prerequisite(s): BIS 301 with C or better
BIS 401 Applied Interdisciplinary Studies (3) (requires application)
Prerequisites: BIS 301 with C or better; BIS 302 with C or better; Minimum of two courses completed in each concentration area
BIS 402 Senior Seminar, L (3)
Prerequisite(s): BIS 301 with C or better; BIS 302 with C or better
For important information, additional major requirements, course descriptions, and application deadlines: Interdisciplinary Studies Core Courses
For assistance in selecting your concentration areas of study complete the Interdisciplinary Studies concentration workshop: Interdisciplinary Studies Pre-Advising Workshop
Transfer to ASU transfer.asu.edu
- How credits transfer to ASU transfer.asu.edu/credits
- How to transfer to ASU from a Two-Year school transfer.asu.edu/ CommunityColleges
Maricopa County Community College District (MCCCD) transfer students transfer.asu.edu/maricopa
- Courses may fulfill Arizona General Education Curriculum (AGEC) or Associate’s degree requirements, consult with your community college academic advisor for details.
- MCCCD course transfer equivalencies are listed here; they may be applied toward this concentration (maximum of six credits or two courses).
- Information listed was current for this catalog year at the time of printing, consult transfer.asu.edu/maricopa for verification.