A concentration in religious studies encourages students to engage in a comparative, cross-cultural exploration of religions and cultures that complements a variety of interdisciplinary concentrations and promotes a deeper understanding of human nature and interaction. Students may pursue the minor in religious studies with regional, national, hemispheric, global and a variety of thematic emphases.
- Students must complete a minimum of 18 credit hours including 12 of upper division hours for this concentration.
- Students must complete a minimum of 6 upper division hours in courses offered by the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.
- All courses must be completed with a grade of “C” (2.00) or higher.
- M - Course transfer equivalent available from Maricopa County Community College District, details are provided on the Transfer Information tab.
- Students are encouraged to consult with an academic advisor in the School of Historical, Philosophical & Religious Studies in order to create a cohesive and comprehensive program of study.
Core 3 Hours
REL 101 Religion, Culture and Public Life, ((L or HU) & G) (3) (Required)
Electives 15 Hours Required, 12 hours are required to be upper division.
Select in consultation with an advisor.
Any REL 100M
Any REL 200M
Any REL 300
Any REL 400
All Interdisciplinary Studies students are required to complete a 12 credit hour core.
BIS 301, BIS 302 and BIS 402 courses require:
A meeting with your academic advisor to:
Ensure both of your concentration areas have been declared
Are working towards completing (or have completed) 1-2 courses in each declared concentration
- One course meeting general studies MA requirement
- ENG 102 or ENG 105 or ENG 108 or First Year Composition Completed
- Minimum 2.00 GPA
Required Courses (12 credit hours):
BIS 301 Foundations of Interdisciplinary Studies, L (3)
BIS 302 Interdisciplinary Inquiry (3)
Prerequisite(s): BIS 301 with C or better
BIS 401 Applied Interdisciplinary Studies (3) (requires application)
Prerequisites: BIS 301 with C or better; BIS 302 with C or better; Minimum of two courses completed in each concentration area
BIS 402 Senior Seminar, L (3)
Prerequisite(s): BIS 301 with C or better; BIS 302 with C or better
For important information, additional major requirements, course descriptions, and application deadlines: Interdisciplinary Studies Core Courses
For assistance in selecting your concentration areas of study complete the Interdisciplinary Studies concentration workshop: Interdisciplinary Studies Pre-Advising Workshop
Transfer to ASU transfer.asu.edu
- How credits transfer to ASU transfer.asu.edu/credits
- How to transfer to ASU from a Two-Year school transfer.asu.edu/ CommunityColleges
Maricopa County Community College District (MCCCD) transfer students transfer.asu.edu/maricopa
- Courses may fulfill Arizona General Education Curriculum (AGEC) or Associate’s degree requirements, consult with your community college academic advisor for details.
- MCCCD course transfer equivalencies are listed here; they may be applied toward this concentration (maximum of six credits or two courses).
- Information listed was current for this catalog year at the time of printing, consult transfer.asu.edu/maricopa for verification.