The personal health concentration will allow students with academic interests that lie outside the realm of medical and health sciences to explore and learn the latest information related to healthy lifestyles, including the attainment and retention of a high quality of personal health. Students will gain the knowledge and skills necessary to optimize their personal health and assume increased responsibility for their own personal health and well-being. The concentration reflects the interdisciplinary nature of personal health by including courses from the nutrition, exercise and wellness, and health sciences disciplines.
- Students must complete a minimum of 18 credit hours including 12 of upper division hours for this concentration.
- Students must complete a minimum of 12 upper division (300-400 level) hours.
- All courses must be completed with a grade of “C” (2.00) or higher.
Core 12 Hours Required:
EXW 325 Fitness for Life (3) (Prerequisites: ENG 101; Minimum 30 hours)
EXW 380 Body Image and Wellness (3)
NTR 100 Introductory Nutrition (3) (Credit is allowed for only NTR 100 or 241)
NTR 355 Eating for Lifelong Health (3), SB
Elective courses 6 hours required:
EXW 303 Human Sexuality for Health Education (3)
EXW 312 HIV/AIDS Prevention (1)
EXW 321 Consumer Health (1)
EXW 331 Violence Prevention (1)
EXW 341 Injury Prevention (1)
EXW 351 Substance Abuse Prevention (1)
EXW 361 Social Media and Marketing in Health Education (1)
EXW 371 Conflict Management and Mediation (1)
NTR 345 Development of Healthy Cuisines (3)
NTR 348 Cultural Aspects of Food (SB & C & G) (3)
All Interdisciplinary Studies students are required to complete a 12 credit hour core.
BIS 301, BIS 302 and BIS 402 courses require:
A meeting with your academic advisor to:
Ensure both of your concentration areas have been declared
Are working towards completing (or have completed) 1-2 courses in each declared concentration
- One course meeting general studies MA requirement
- ENG 102 or ENG 105 or ENG 108 or First Year Composition Completed
- Minimum 2.00 GPA
Required Courses (12 credit hours):
BIS 301 Foundations of Interdisciplinary Studies, L (3)
BIS 302 Interdisciplinary Inquiry (3)
Prerequisite(s): BIS 301 with C or better
BIS 401 Applied Interdisciplinary Studies (3) (requires application)
Prerequisites: BIS 301 with C or better; BIS 302 with C or better; Minimum of two courses completed in each concentration area
BIS 402 Senior Seminar, L (3)
Prerequisite(s): BIS 301 with C or better; BIS 302 with C or better
For important information, additional major requirements, course descriptions, and application deadlines: Interdisciplinary Studies Core Courses
For assistance in selecting your concentration areas of study complete the Interdisciplinary Studies concentration workshop: Interdisciplinary Studies Pre-Advising Workshop
Transfer to ASU transfer.asu.edu
- How credits transfer to ASU transfer.asu.edu/credits
- How to transfer to ASU from a Two-Year school transfer.asu.edu/ CommunityColleges
Maricopa County Community College District (MCCCD) transfer students transfer.asu.edu/maricopa
- Courses may fulfill Arizona General Education Curriculum (AGEC) or Associate’s degree requirements, consult with your community college academic advisor for details.
- MCCCD course transfer equivalencies are listed here; they may be applied toward this concentration (maximum of six credits or two courses).
- Information listed was current for this catalog year at the time of printing, consult transfer.asu.edu/maricopa for verification.