The concentration in mathematics is designed for students who want to further their knowledge of mathematics and is recommended for students who have concentration areas in other disciplines such as physics, engineering, business, economics, as well as the life and social sciences where the need for quantification in the analysis of phenomena is strong.
- Students must complete a minimum of 18 credit hours which includes 12 upper division hours for this concentration.
- All courses must be completed with a grade of “C” (2.00) or higher.
- Students must complete a minimum of 6 MAT or STP upper division (300-400 level) hours offered by the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences
- Electives must be upper-division courses in mathematics (MAT) or Statistics and Probability (STP).
- Students may not apply ACT 491, MAT 411 or 485 or a course not offered at ASU to the concentration, unless otherwise approved by a department advisor.
- Students may not pair a Mathematics concentration with a Statistics concentration.
Core 9-11 Hours Required
MAT 271 Calculus with Analytic Geometry II MA (4) OR MAT 266 Calculus for Engineers II (3)
(MAT 271 & MAT 266 Prerequisites: MAT 265 or 270 with C or better)
MAT 272 Calculus with Analytic Geometry III MA (4) OR MAT 267 Calculus for Engineers III (3)
(MAT 272 & MAT 267 Prerequisites: MAT 266 or 271 with C or better)
MAT 342 Linear Algebra (3) (Prerequisites: MAT 267 or 272 with C or better) OR MAT 343 Applied Linear Algebra (3)
(Prerequisites: MAT 266 or 271 with C or better)
Upper Division Electives 3 courses
Select in consultation with an advisor.
Any MAT 300 or 400 level course (EXCEPT MAT 485 OR MAT 411 OR ACT 491)
Any STP 300 or 400 level course
Any ACT 300 or 400 level course
All Interdisciplinary Studies students are required to complete a 12 credit hour core.
BIS 301, BIS 302 and BIS 402 courses require:
A meeting with your academic advisor to:
Ensure both of your concentration areas have been declared
Are working towards completing (or have completed) 1-2 courses in each declared concentration
- One course meeting general studies MA requirement
- ENG 102 or ENG 105 or ENG 108 or First Year Composition Completed
- Minimum 2.00 GPA
Required Courses (12 credit hours):
BIS 301 Foundations of Interdisciplinary Studies, L (3)
BIS 302 Interdisciplinary Inquiry (3)
Prerequisite(s): BIS 301 with C or better
BIS 401 Applied Interdisciplinary Studies (3) (requires application)
Prerequisites: BIS 301 with C or better; BIS 302 with C or better; Minimum of two courses completed in each concentration area
BIS 402 Senior Seminar, L (3)
Prerequisite(s): BIS 301 with C or better; BIS 302 with C or better
For important information, additional major requirements, course descriptions, and application deadlines: Interdisciplinary Studies Core Courses
For assistance in selecting your concentration areas of study complete the Interdisciplinary Studies concentration workshop: Interdisciplinary Studies Pre-Advising Workshop
Transfer to ASU transfer.asu.edu
- How credits transfer to ASU transfer.asu.edu/credits
- How to transfer to ASU from a Two-Year school transfer.asu.edu/ CommunityColleges
Maricopa County Community College District (MCCCD) transfer students transfer.asu.edu/maricopa
- Courses may fulfill Arizona General Education Curriculum (AGEC) or Associate’s degree requirements, consult with your community college academic advisor for details.
- MCCCD course transfer equivalencies are listed here; they may be applied toward this concentration (maximum of six credits or two courses).
- Information listed was current for this catalog year at the time of printing, consult transfer.asu.edu/maricopa for verification.