Leadership and Ethics
The concentration in leadership and ethics provides a catalyst for students to become ethical leaders of organizational and community change. This concentration is designed to:
Explore the relationship between leadership and the capacity for individuals to assume responsibility for their actions and to act with a sense of ethics and integrity.
Focus on understanding the broad interdisciplinary field of leadership and its application to various elements of society and community.
Prepare individuals for positions of leadership and responsibility in the university, student organizations, in their communities and throughout their careers in business, government and society.
- Students must complete a minimum of 18 credit hours which includes 12 upper division hours for this concentration.
- All courses must be completed with a grade of “C” (2.00) or higher.
- Electives may be chosen from list or may be chosen in consultation with the Leadership and Ethics advisor.
- ** Some courses may require prerequisites or may be for majors only. Other courses may be substituted with approval from School of Public Affairs.
- All core courses and the leadership capstone must be taken at Arizona State University. Any course substitutions for the concentration are at the discretion of the School of Public Affairs.
Core 12 Hours Required
PAF 410 Building Leadership Skills, SB (3) (Prerequisites: earned 30 hours; Credit allowed for only PAF 410 or URB 410)
PAF 311 OR PAF 411 Leadership and Change, SB (3) (Prerequisites: 30 earned hours or more)
PAF 421 Leadership Capstone (3) (Prerequisite: PAF 311 and 410; Credit is allowed for only PAF 421 or 494 (Leadership Capstone))
PAF 460 Public Service Ethics (3)
PHI 394 Special Topics: [*ETHICS* JUS*]
Electives 6 hours
Select in consultation with an advisor.
Choose elective courses from the following**:
BUS/HON 497 Honors Colloquium (Leadership through Service)
COM 430 Leadership in Group Communication (3) (Prerequisites: minimum cumulative GPA of 2.50)
MGT 300 Organization and Management Leadership**
POS 314 The American Presidency, SB (3)
NLM 430 Managing Nonprofit Organizations (3) (Prerequisites: Academic Level Senior; C or better in NLM 220)
SPF 498 Pro-Seminar: Educational Leadership and Diversity in Sports
All Interdisciplinary Studies students are required to complete a 12 credit hour core.
BIS 301, BIS 302 and BIS 402 courses require:
A meeting with your academic advisor to:
Ensure both of your concentration areas have been declared
Are working towards completing (or have completed) 1-2 courses in each declared concentration
- One course meeting general studies MA requirement
- ENG 102 or ENG 105 or ENG 108 or First Year Composition Completed
- Minimum 2.00 GPA
Required Courses (12 credit hours):
BIS 301 Foundations of Interdisciplinary Studies, L (3)
BIS 302 Interdisciplinary Inquiry (3)
Prerequisite(s): BIS 301 with C or better
BIS 401 Applied Interdisciplinary Studies (3) (requires application)
Prerequisites: BIS 301 with C or better; BIS 302 with C or better; Minimum of two courses completed in each concentration area
BIS 402 Senior Seminar, L (3)
Prerequisite(s): BIS 301 with C or better; BIS 302 with C or better
For important information, additional major requirements, course descriptions, and application deadlines: Interdisciplinary Studies Core Courses
For assistance in selecting your concentration areas of study complete the Interdisciplinary Studies concentration workshop: Interdisciplinary Studies Pre-Advising Workshop
Transfer to ASU transfer.asu.edu
- How credits transfer to ASU transfer.asu.edu/credits
- How to transfer to ASU from a Two-Year school transfer.asu.edu/ CommunityColleges
Maricopa County Community College District (MCCCD) transfer students transfer.asu.edu/maricopa
- Courses may fulfill Arizona General Education Curriculum (AGEC) or Associate’s degree requirements, consult with your community college academic advisor for details.
- MCCCD course transfer equivalencies are listed here; they may be applied toward this concentration (maximum of six credits or two courses).
- Information listed was current for this catalog year at the time of printing, consult transfer.asu.edu/maricopa for verification.