The health innovation concentration provides students an opportunity to prepare for a position in the health care industry. A variety of students might benefit from having a Bachelor of Interdisciplinary Studies degree with a Health Innovation Concentration: pre-nursing students; students unable to meet the admission standard for the College of Nursing & Health Innovation Upper Division Nursing Program; students undecided about nursing as a career, but might be interested in the health care field.
- Students must complete a minimum of 18 credit hours including 12 of upper division hours for this concentration.
- All courses must be completed with a grade of “C” (2.00) or higher.
- A minimum 9 upper division hours must be taken in courses offered by the College of Nursing and Health Innovation.
Required Core 18 Hours Required
HCI 150 Introduction to Health Innovation (3)
HCI 250 Health Entrepreneurship and Value Creation (3)
HCI 311 Health Innovation: Foundational Concepts (3) (Prerequisite(s): ENG 102 or 105 or 108 with C or better; minimum 45 hours)
HCI 412 Transforming Health Care: A Systems Perspective for Innovation (3) (Prerequisite(s): HCI 311 with C or better)
HCI 421 Health Care Policy: The Innovator's View (3) (Prerequisite(s): HCI 311 with C or better)
HCI 425 Facilitating Innovation to Achieve Outcomes (3) (Prerequisite(s): HCI 311 with C or better)
HCI 428 Technology: A Tool to Advance Innovation in Health Care (3) (Prerequisite(s): HCI 311 with C or better)
All Interdisciplinary Studies students are required to complete a 12 credit hour core.
BIS 301, BIS 302 and BIS 402 courses require:
A meeting with your academic advisor to:
Ensure both of your concentration areas have been declared
Are working towards completing (or have completed) 1-2 courses in each declared concentration
- One course meeting general studies MA requirement
- ENG 102 or ENG 105 or ENG 108 or First Year Composition Completed
- Minimum 2.00 GPA
Required Courses (12 credit hours):
BIS 301 Foundations of Interdisciplinary Studies, L (3)
BIS 302 Interdisciplinary Inquiry (3)
Prerequisite(s): BIS 301 with C or better
BIS 401 Applied Interdisciplinary Studies (3) (requires application)
Prerequisites: BIS 301 with C or better; BIS 302 with C or better; Minimum of two courses completed in each concentration area
BIS 402 Senior Seminar, L (3)
Prerequisite(s): BIS 301 with C or better; BIS 302 with C or better
For important information, additional major requirements, course descriptions, and application deadlines: Interdisciplinary Studies Core Courses
For assistance in selecting your concentration areas of study complete the Interdisciplinary Studies concentration workshop: Interdisciplinary Studies Pre-Advising Workshop
Transfer to ASU transfer.asu.edu
- How credits transfer to ASU transfer.asu.edu/credits
- How to transfer to ASU from a Two-Year school transfer.asu.edu/ CommunityColleges
Maricopa County Community College District (MCCCD) transfer students transfer.asu.edu/maricopa
- Courses may fulfill Arizona General Education Curriculum (AGEC) or Associate’s degree requirements, consult with your community college academic advisor for details.
- MCCCD course transfer equivalencies are listed here; they may be applied toward this concentration (maximum of six credits or two courses).
- Information listed was current for this catalog year at the time of printing, consult transfer.asu.edu/maricopa for verification.