The geological sciences concentration is designed for students interested in developing a basic understanding of earth science and analyzing issues through a scientific viewpoint. A minimum of 21 hours of geological science courses is required including two upper-division electives chosen after consultation with an academic advisor.
- MAT 170 (With a “D” or better); CHM 113
- Students must complete a minimum of 21 credit hours including 12 of upper division hours for this concentration.
- All courses must be completed with a grade of “C” (2.00) or higher.
- Upper division electives must be chosen in consultation with an advisor in the Department of Geological Sciences. GLG 300 or GLG 400 will not qualify as upper division elective requirements.
- * Both GLG 101 and 103 must be taken to secure SQ credit.
- ** Both GLG 102 and 104 must be taken to secure SG credit.
Core 15 Hours Required
All core courses listed are required.
GLG 101 & 103 Introduction to Geology I & Lab (Physical)*, SQ G (4)
GLG 102 & 104 Introduction to Geology II & Lab (Historical)**, SG, H (4)
GLG 310 Structural Geology (3) (Prerequisites: GLG 101 or SES 101 with C or better; Credit is allowed for only GLG 305 or 310)
GLG 321 Mineralogy (3) (Prerequisite(s): CHM 113 (or both CHM 111 and 117 or 114) with C or better; MAT 170, 210, 265 or 270 with C or better)
GLG 400 Geology Colloquium (1)
SES 401 Earth and Space Exploration Colloquium (3) (Prerequisite(s): minimum 45 hours)
Upper Division Electives 6 hours
Select in consultation with a Geological Sciences advisor.
Any GLG 300 level course EXCEPT GLG 300
Any GLG 400 level course EXCEPT GLG 400
All Interdisciplinary Studies students are required to complete a 12 credit hour core.
BIS 301, BIS 302 and BIS 402 courses require:
A meeting with your academic advisor to:
Ensure both of your concentration areas have been declared
Are working towards completing (or have completed) 1-2 courses in each declared concentration
- One course meeting general studies MA requirement
- ENG 102 or ENG 105 or ENG 108 or First Year Composition Completed
- Minimum 2.00 GPA
Required Courses (12 credit hours):
BIS 301 Foundations of Interdisciplinary Studies, L (3)
BIS 302 Interdisciplinary Inquiry (3)
Prerequisite(s): BIS 301 with C or better
BIS 401 Applied Interdisciplinary Studies (3) (requires application)
Prerequisites: BIS 301 with C or better; BIS 302 with C or better; Minimum of two courses completed in each concentration area
BIS 402 Senior Seminar, L (3)
Prerequisite(s): BIS 301 with C or better; BIS 302 with C or better
For important information, additional major requirements, course descriptions, and application deadlines: Interdisciplinary Studies Core Courses
For assistance in selecting your concentration areas of study complete the Interdisciplinary Studies concentration workshop: Interdisciplinary Studies Pre-Advising Workshop
Transfer to ASU transfer.asu.edu
- How credits transfer to ASU transfer.asu.edu/credits
- How to transfer to ASU from a Two-Year school transfer.asu.edu/ CommunityColleges
Maricopa County Community College District (MCCCD) transfer students transfer.asu.edu/maricopa
- Courses may fulfill Arizona General Education Curriculum (AGEC) or Associate’s degree requirements, consult with your community college academic advisor for details.
- MCCCD course transfer equivalencies are listed here; they may be applied toward this concentration (maximum of six credits or two courses).
- Information listed was current for this catalog year at the time of printing, consult transfer.asu.edu/maricopa for verification.