Geography (Geographic Information Science)
The geographic information science (GIS) concentration is a structured interdisciplinary program. It is built on GIS course work currently being taught at ASU. Students who earn the concentration exit the program with standardized skill sets based on learning outcomes associated with each required course.
- Students must complete a minimum of 20 credit hours including 12 of upper division hours for this concentration.
- All courses must be completed with a grade of “C” (2.00) or higher.
- A minimum 12 hours must be taken in courses offered by the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.
- To enhance the understanding of the subject matter, the selected courses are sequential in nature and require certain prerequisites. Consequently, students should carefully note the semester in which any of these courses are offered.
- *Prerequisite(s): Minimum 45 hours.
- Students are limited to 3 total hours of Internship, Thesis, Individualized Instruction, or Directed Study.
Core 11 Hours Required
GIS 205 OR GPH 370 Geographic Information Technologies, CS (3)
GIS 211 OR GPH 373 Geographic Information Science I, CS (4) (Prerequisites: GPH 370 with C or better)
GIS 311 Geographic Information Science II, CS (4)
Upper Division GIS Electives 6 hours
Select elective courses from the GIS prefix.
Any GIS Upper Division Elective
Upper Division Related Coursework
Elective 3 hours
Select elective course from the following prefixes:
GCU, GIS, GPH, PUP, CEE, CSE, EEE, EGR, FSE or IEE
All Interdisciplinary students are required to complete a 12 credit hour core.
All core courses require:
- Two courses completed in each concentration area
- Activation of BIS eligibility student group by a BIS advisor
- One course meeting general studies MA requirement
- ENG 102 or ENG 105 or ENG 108 or First Year Composition Completed
- Minimum 2.00 GPA
Required Courses (12 credit hours):
BIS 301 Foundations of Interdisciplinary Studies, L (3)
BIS 302 Interdisciplinary Inquiry (3)
Prerequisite(s): BIS 301 with C or better
BIS 401 Applied Interdisciplinary Studies (3) (requires application)
Prerequisites: BIS 301 with C or better; BIS 302 with C or better
BIS 402 Senior Seminar, L (3)
Prerequisite(s): BIS 301 with C or better; BIS 302 with C or better
For important information, additional major requirements, course descriptions, and application deadlines cls.asu.edu/bis/corecourses
For assistance in selecting your concentration areas of study complete the Interdisciplinary Studies concentration workshop: cls.asu.edu/node/283.