Students in English linguistics concentration study the history and structure of language.
- Students must complete a minimum of 21 credit hours including 12 of upper division hours for this concentration.
- A minimum 6 upper division hours must be taken in courses offered by the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, Department of English.
- All courses must be completed with a grade of “C” (2.00) or higher.
- Students may use only one concentration from the Department of English.
Core 18 Hours
ENG 200 Critical Reading and Writing about Literature, L or HU (3)
ENG 213 Introduction to the Study of Language (3)
ENG 221 Survey of English Literature to 1798, HU (3) (Pre-or Co-requisite: ENG 200 (with C or better if completed))
ENG 222 Survey of English Literature since 1798, HU & H (3) (Pre-or Co-requisite: ENG 200 (with C or better if completed))
ENG 241 Literatures of the United States to 1860, HU (3) (Pre-or Co-requisite: ENG 200 (with C or better if completed))
ENG 242 Literatures of the United States, 1860 to Present, HU (3) (Pre-or Co-requisite: ENG 200 (with C or better if completed))
ENG 312 English in Its Social Setting, L or HU or SB (3)
ENG 314 Modern Grammar (3)
ENG 413 History of the English Language, HU (3) (Credit is allowed for only ENG 413 or LIN 517)
Electives 3 Upper Division Hours Required
Any ENG 300 or 400 level course.
Electives 3 Hours
Any ENG 200, 300, or 400 level course.
All Interdisciplinary Studies students are required to complete a 12 credit hour core.
BIS 301, BIS 302 and BIS 402 courses require:
A meeting with your academic advisor to:
Ensure both of your concentration areas have been declared
Are working towards completing (or have completed) 1-2 courses in each declared concentration
- One course meeting general studies MA requirement
- ENG 102 or ENG 105 or ENG 108 or First Year Composition Completed
- Minimum 2.00 GPA
Required Courses (12 credit hours):
BIS 301 Foundations of Interdisciplinary Studies, L (3)
BIS 302 Interdisciplinary Inquiry (3)
Prerequisite(s): BIS 301 with C or better
BIS 401 Applied Interdisciplinary Studies (3) (requires application)
Prerequisites: BIS 301 with C or better; BIS 302 with C or better; Minimum of two courses completed in each concentration area
BIS 402 Senior Seminar, L (3)
Prerequisite(s): BIS 301 with C or better; BIS 302 with C or better
For important information, additional major requirements, course descriptions, and application deadlines: Interdisciplinary Studies Core Courses
For assistance in selecting your concentration areas of study complete the Interdisciplinary Studies concentration workshop: Interdisciplinary Studies Pre-Advising Workshop
Transfer to ASU transfer.asu.edu
- How credits transfer to ASU transfer.asu.edu/credits
- How to transfer to ASU from a Two-Year school transfer.asu.edu/ CommunityColleges
Maricopa County Community College District (MCCCD) transfer students transfer.asu.edu/maricopa
- Courses may fulfill Arizona General Education Curriculum (AGEC) or Associate’s degree requirements, consult with your community college academic advisor for details.
- MCCCD course transfer equivalencies are listed here; they may be applied toward this concentration (maximum of six credits or two courses).
- Information listed was current for this catalog year at the time of printing, consult transfer.asu.edu/maricopa for verification.