The community health concentration is designed for students who want to create healthy, sustainable communities with an emphasis on working with specific populations. Community health is a specialized field within public health and concentrates on the actions and conditions needed for the health and well-being of defined groups of people. Students will learn to work with teams in diverse settings to formulate research-based strategies that assist communities to make healthy and sustainable lifestyle choices.
- Students must complete a minimum of 18 credit hours including 12 of upper division hours for this concentration.
- All courses must be completed with a grade of “C” (2.00) or higher.
- A minimum 9 upper division hours must be taken in courses offered by the College of Nursing and Health Innovation.
HCR 220 Introduction to Nursing and Health Care Systems, H (3)
HCR 430 Foundation to Health Care Systems (3) (Prerequisite(s): HCR 330 with C or better)
HCR 231 Fundamentals of Community Health (3) (Prerequisite(s): minimum 30 hours)
HCR 331 Communication with Communities (3) (Prerequisite(s): minimum 45 hours) (Required)
HCR 335 Program Development and Management for Community Health (3) (Prerequisite(s): General Studies Literacy course; minimum 45 hours) (Required)
HCR 336 Environmental Community Health (3) (Prerequisite(s): HCR 330 with C or better) (Required)
HCR 435 Leaders in Community Health (Prerequisite(s): HCR 330 with C or better; HCR 335 with C or better) (Required)
All Interdisciplinary Studies students are required to complete a 12 credit hour core.
BIS 301, BIS 302 and BIS 402 courses require:
A meeting with your academic advisor to:
Ensure both of your concentration areas have been declared
Are working towards completing (or have completed) 1-2 courses in each declared concentration
- One course meeting general studies MA requirement
- ENG 102 or ENG 105 or ENG 108 or First Year Composition Completed
- Minimum 2.00 GPA
Required Courses (12 credit hours):
BIS 301 Foundations of Interdisciplinary Studies, L (3)
BIS 302 Interdisciplinary Inquiry (3)
Prerequisite(s): BIS 301 with C or better
BIS 401 Applied Interdisciplinary Studies (3) (requires application)
Prerequisites: BIS 301 with C or better; BIS 302 with C or better; Minimum of two courses completed in each concentration area
BIS 402 Senior Seminar, L (3)
Prerequisite(s): BIS 301 with C or better; BIS 302 with C or better
For important information, additional major requirements, course descriptions, and application deadlines: Interdisciplinary Studies Core Courses
For assistance in selecting your concentration areas of study complete the Interdisciplinary Studies concentration workshop: Interdisciplinary Studies Pre-Advising Workshop
Transfer to ASU transfer.asu.edu
- How credits transfer to ASU transfer.asu.edu/credits
- How to transfer to ASU from a Two-Year school transfer.asu.edu/ CommunityColleges
Maricopa County Community College District (MCCCD) transfer students transfer.asu.edu/maricopa
- Courses may fulfill Arizona General Education Curriculum (AGEC) or Associate’s degree requirements, consult with your community college academic advisor for details.
- MCCCD course transfer equivalencies are listed here; they may be applied toward this concentration (maximum of six credits or two courses).
- Information listed was current for this catalog year at the time of printing, consult transfer.asu.edu/maricopa for verification.