African and African American Studies
The African and African American studies concentration offers an interdisciplinary examination of the many ways in which African and African-descended peoples have created robust lives for themselves and, in turn, contributed to the creation of the modern world. The core undergraduate curriculum examines the culture, arts, history, politics, economics and current status of African Americans, Africans and the African Diaspora everywhere, especially in the Caribbean, Central America and South America. The curriculum combines a research-based understanding of the humanities, social and behavioral sciences and the arts with practical applications (internships, community/civic engagement and research projects) to prepare students for lifelong learning, advanced study in a variety of fields, and successful careers and productive public service in an increasingly diverse society, especially in Arizona.
- Students must complete a minimum of 18 credit hours including 12 of upper division hours.
- All courses must be completed with a grade of “C” (2.00) or higher.
- A minimum of 9 credit hours in this concentration must be completed at ASU.
Core 6 Hours
AFR 200 Introduction to Africana Studies, SB, G, H (3) (Required)
Choose additional core course (3 hours) from the following:
AFR 300 Pre-colonial Africa, SB, G, H (3) (Prerequisite(s): AFR 200 (or AFS 200) or minimum 45 hours; Credit is allowed for only AFR 300 (or AFH 300) or ASB 310)
AFR 301 Race and Racism in Africa/African Diaspora, SB, G (3) (Prerequisite(s): AFR 200 (or AFS 200) or minimum 45 hours; Credit is allowed for only AFR 301 (or AFS 301) or JUS 300)
AFR 302 History of Black Women in America, SB, H (3) (Prerequisite(s): AFR 200 (or AFS 200) or WST 100 or WST 300 or minimum 45 hours; Credit is allowed for only AFR 302 (or AFS 302) or HST 335 or WST 302)
AFR 305 The Global History of the Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade, SB, H (3) (Prerequisite(s): AFR 200 (or AFS 200) or HST 109 or minimum 45 hours; Credit is allowed for only AFR 305 (or AFH 305) or HST 326)
Electives 12 hours
At least 9 elective hours must be upper division.
Choose elective courses from the following:
Select from AFR course prefixes.
All Interdisciplinary Studies students are required to complete a 12 credit hour core.
BIS 301, BIS 302 and BIS 402 courses require:
A meeting with your academic advisor to:
Ensure both of your concentration areas have been declared
Are working towards completing (or have completed) 1-2 courses in each declared concentration
- One course meeting general studies MA requirement
- ENG 102 or ENG 105 or ENG 108 or First Year Composition Completed
- Minimum 2.00 GPA
Required Courses (12 credit hours):
BIS 301 Foundations of Interdisciplinary Studies, L (3)
BIS 302 Interdisciplinary Inquiry (3)
Prerequisite(s): BIS 301 with C or better
BIS 401 Applied Interdisciplinary Studies (3) (requires application)
Prerequisites: BIS 301 with C or better; BIS 302 with C or better; Minimum of two courses completed in each concentration area
BIS 402 Senior Seminar, L (3)
Prerequisite(s): BIS 301 with C or better; BIS 302 with C or better
For important information, additional major requirements, course descriptions, and application deadlines: Interdisciplinary Studies Core Courses
For assistance in selecting your concentration areas of study complete the Interdisciplinary Studies concentration workshop: Interdisciplinary Studies Pre-Advising Workshop
Transfer to ASU transfer.asu.edu
- How credits transfer to ASU transfer.asu.edu/credits
- How to transfer to ASU from a Two-Year school transfer.asu.edu/ CommunityColleges
Maricopa County Community College District (MCCCD) transfer students transfer.asu.edu/maricopa
- Courses may fulfill Arizona General Education Curriculum (AGEC) or Associate’s degree requirements, consult with your community college academic advisor for details.
- MCCCD course transfer equivalencies are listed here; they may be applied toward this concentration (maximum of six credits or two courses).
- Information listed was current for this catalog year at the time of printing, consult transfer.asu.edu/maricopa for verification.