Health Care Policy and Delivery
The School for the Science of Health Care Delivery offers a concentration which reflects the school's role as a connection between the businesses of medicine and clinical practice. This concentration in health care policy and delivery focuses on the business of medicine --- including policy, administration and leadership. Students have the option of selecting an internship course, enhancing their application of core concepts. Students with an interest in health and health care are afforded the opportunity to broaden and expand their competitiveness for employment and postgraduate degree programs.
- Students must complete a minimum of 18 credit hours including 12 of upper division hours for this concentration.
- All courses must be completed with a grade of “C” (2.00) or higher.
- In order to complete the concentration, students must complete either ECN 211, ECN 212 or PBH 201..
Required courses (15 credit hours)
HCD 302 Health Care Management (3) (Prerequisite(s): ECN 212 or HCD 201 or PBH 201)
HCD 330 Health Care Systems in the U.S. (3) (Prerequisite(s): minimum 30 hours)
HCD 401 Leadership and Professionalism (3) (Prerequisite(s): minimum 45 hours; Credit is allowed for only HCD 401 or MED 450)
HCD 402 Health Economics (3) (Prerequisite(s): ECN 211 or ECN 212 or PBH 201; minimum 45 hours)
HCD 403 Process Engineering (3) (Prerequisite(s): CHS 100; HCD 300, PSY 230, STP 226, STP 231, or SOC 390; minimum 45 hours)
Elective (3 credit hours; choose one course from below)
HCD 404 Advanced Concepts in the Science of Health Care Delivery (3) (Prerequisite(s): CHS 100; HCD 401; HSC 330)
HCD 422 Health Disparities and Access to Health (3) (Prerequisite(s): HCD 101 (or PBH 100) or BS Medical Studies major. Credit is allowed for only HCD 422 or PBH 422)
HCD 484 Internship (3) (Prerequisite(s): minimum 2.00 GPA; senior standing)
PAF 311 Leadership and Change, SB (3) (Prerequisites: Minimum 30 hours)
PAF 460 Public Service Ethics (3)
Completion Course (3 credit hours; choose one course from below)
ECN 211 Macroeconomic Principles (3)
ECN 212 Microeconomic Principles (3)
PBH 201 Economics for Health Majors (3) (Credit is allowed for only HCD 201 or PBH 201)
All Interdisciplinary Studies students are required to complete a 12 credit hour core.
BIS 301, BIS 302 and BIS 402 courses require:
A meeting with your academic advisor to:
Ensure both of your concentration areas have been declared
Are working towards completing (or have completed) 1-2 courses in each declared concentration
- One course meeting general studies MA requirement
- ENG 102 or ENG 105 or ENG 108 or First Year Composition Completed
- Minimum 2.00 GPA
Required Courses (12 credit hours):
BIS 301 Foundations of Interdisciplinary Studies, L (3)
BIS 302 Interdisciplinary Inquiry (3)
Prerequisite(s): BIS 301 with C or better
BIS 401 Applied Interdisciplinary Studies (3) (requires application)
Prerequisites: BIS 301 with C or better; BIS 302 with C or better; Minimum of two courses completed in each concentration area
BIS 402 Senior Seminar, L (3)
Prerequisite(s): BIS 301 with C or better; BIS 302 with C or better
For important information, additional major requirements, course descriptions, and application deadlines: Interdisciplinary Studies Core Courses
For assistance in selecting your concentration areas of study complete the Interdisciplinary Studies concentration workshop: Interdisciplinary Studies Pre-Advising Workshop
Transfer to ASU transfer.asu.edu
- How credits transfer to ASU transfer.asu.edu/credits
- How to transfer to ASU from a Two-Year school transfer.asu.edu/ CommunityColleges
Maricopa County Community College District (MCCCD) transfer students transfer.asu.edu/maricopa
- Courses may fulfill Arizona General Education Curriculum (AGEC) or Associate’s degree requirements, consult with your community college academic advisor for details.
- MCCCD course transfer equivalencies are listed here; they may be applied toward this concentration (maximum of six credits or two courses).
- Information listed was current for this catalog year at the time of printing, consult transfer.asu.edu/maricopa for verification.