Hazardous Materials and Waste Management
The concentration in hazardous materials and waste management is designed to provide current and prospective employees of industry and government with a comprehensive and practical curriculum of study in hazardous materials management. The concentration program features instruction by ASU faculty, attorneys, and professionals who work in the specific area in which they teach.
- Students must complete a minimum of 18 credit hours including 12 of upper division hours for this concentration.
- All courses must be completed with a grade of “C” (2.00) or higher.
- Students may also pursue the Certificate in Hazardous Materials & Waste Management. See program advisor for details.
- Students with senior status may be allowed to register for graduate level (500 level courses) with permission from Entrepreneurship and Innovation Management (ERM) faculty.
Core 12 Hours
ERM 401 Hazardous Waste Management (3)
ERM 501 Principles of Hazardous Materials and Waste Management (3)
ERM 407 Occupational Hygiene (3)
ERM 507 Industrial Hygiene (3)
ERM 502 Regulatory Framework for Toxic and Hazardous Substances (3)
ERM 527 Environmental/Resources Regulations Concepts (3)
ERM 506 Chemistry of Hazardous Materials (3)
Electives 6 Hours
Consult with an advisor in the Technological Entrepreneurship and Management program for appropriate courses.
Any ERM 400 or ERM 500 level course
All Interdisciplinary Studies students are required to complete a 12 credit hour core.
BIS 301, BIS 302 and BIS 402 courses require:
A meeting with your academic advisor to:
Ensure both of your concentration areas have been declared
Are working towards completing (or have completed) 1-2 courses in each declared concentration
- One course meeting general studies MA requirement
- ENG 102 or ENG 105 or ENG 108 or First Year Composition Completed
- Minimum 2.00 GPA
Required Courses (12 credit hours):
BIS 301 Foundations of Interdisciplinary Studies, L (3)
BIS 302 Interdisciplinary Inquiry (3)
Prerequisite(s): BIS 301 with C or better
BIS 401 Applied Interdisciplinary Studies (3) (requires application)
Prerequisites: BIS 301 with C or better; BIS 302 with C or better; Minimum of two courses completed in each concentration area
BIS 402 Senior Seminar, L (3)
Prerequisite(s): BIS 301 with C or better; BIS 302 with C or better
For important information, additional major requirements, course descriptions, and application deadlines: Interdisciplinary Studies Core Courses
For assistance in selecting your concentration areas of study complete the Interdisciplinary Studies concentration workshop: Interdisciplinary Studies Pre-Advising Workshop
Transfer to ASU transfer.asu.edu
- How credits transfer to ASU transfer.asu.edu/credits
- How to transfer to ASU from a Two-Year school transfer.asu.edu/ CommunityColleges
Maricopa County Community College District (MCCCD) transfer students transfer.asu.edu/maricopa
- Courses may fulfill Arizona General Education Curriculum (AGEC) or Associate’s degree requirements, consult with your community college academic advisor for details.
- MCCCD course transfer equivalencies are listed here; they may be applied toward this concentration (maximum of six credits or two courses).
- Information listed was current for this catalog year at the time of printing, consult transfer.asu.edu/maricopa for verification.