The biochemistry concentration is designed to give students with concentrations in other disciplines a solid grounding in the basics of biochemistry in order to complement other BIS concentration areas. It is especially appropriate for concentrations in the various disciplines of life sciences, physics, engineering and geology, and for students planning careers in medical disciplines.
- Students must complete a minimum of 28 credit hours including 12 of upper division hours for this concentration.
- All courses, including pre/co-requisite courses, must be completed with a grade of “C” (2.00) or higher.
- To enhance the understanding of the subject matter, the selected courses are sequential in nature and require certain prerequisites. Consequently, students should carefully note the semester in which any of these courses are offered.
- To ensure continuity of content students are strongly encouraged to take chemistry courses + labs at the same campus. Inappropriate pairings: Chemistry at West campus + Chemistry at Tempe campus.
- Students are encouraged to consult a Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry academic advisor.
- Students may not pair the Biochemistry concentration with the Chemistry concentration.
Core 12 Hours
BCH 341 Physical Chemistry with a Biological Focus (3) (Prerequisite(s): CHM 114 or 116 or 118 with C or better; CHM 231 or 233 or 333 with C or better; MAT 251 or 265 or 270 with C or better; PHY 101 or 112 or 131 with C or better; Credit is allowed for only BCH 341 or CHM 341)
BCH 461 General Biochemistry (3) (Prerequisites: CHM 234 or 334; Co-requisite: CHM 341 or 346; Credit is allowed for only BCH 361 or 461)
BCH 462 General Biochemistry (3) (Prerequisite: BCH 461)
BCH 467 Analytical Biochemistry Laboratory, L (3) (Pre/Co-requisite: BCH 462)
General Chemistry I 4 Hours
CHM 113 General Chemistry I & Lab, SQ (4) (Prerequisites: CHM 101 or ALEKS Math Placement Test with score of 50% or higher or Pre/Co-requisite: MAT 170, MAT 210, MAT 251, MAT 265 or MAT 270; Credit is allowed for only CHM 113 or CHM 117)
CHM 117 General Chemistry for Majors I, SQ (3) (Prerequisites: ALEKS Math Placement Test with score of 67% or higher or Pre/Co-requisite: MAT 270 (or 265); Credit is allowed for only CHM 113 or 117)
CHM 111 General Chemistry Laboratory for Majors I (1) (Pre/Co-requisite: CHM 117)
General Chemistry II 4 Hours
CHM 116 General Chemistry II & Lab, SQ (4) (Prerequisites: CHM 113 or CHM 117, or CHM 114. Credit allowed for CHM 115, 116 or 118)
CHM 118 General Chemistry for Majors II, SQ (3) (Prerequisites: CHM 117; MAT 270; Pre/Co-requisite: MAT 271; Credit allowed for only CHM 115, 116 or 118)
CHM 112 General Chemistry Laboratory for Majors II (1) (Prerequisites: CHM 111; Pre/Co-requisite: CHM 118)
Core Groups 8 Hours
Choose one group from the following:
CHM 233 General Organic Chemistry I (3) (Prerequisites: CHM 116 or CHM 118; Credit allowed for only CHM 231, 233 or 333)
CHM 237 General Organic Chemistry Lab I (1) (Pre/Co-requisites: CHM 233; Credit allowed for CHM 237 or 337)
CHM 234 Organic Chemistry II (3) (Prerequisites: CHM 233 or CHM 333; Credit is allowed for only CHM 234 or 334)
CHM 238 Organic Chemistry Lab II (1) (Prerequisites: CHM 237 or 337; Pre/Co-requisites: CHM 234; Credit allowed for CHM 238 or 338)
CHM 333 Organic Chemistry for Majors I (3) (Prerequisites: CHM 116 or 118; Credit is allowed for only CHM 231, 233 or 333)
CHM 337 General Organic Chemistry Lab I (1) (Pre/Co-requisite: CHM 333; Credit is allowed for only CHM 237 or 337)
CHM 334 Organic Chemistry II (3) (Prerequisites: CHM 333; Credit is allowed for only CHM 234 or 334)
CHM 338 Organic Chemistry Lab II (1) (Prerequisites: CHM 337; Pre/Co-requisites: CHM 334; Credit is allowed for only CHM 238 or 338)
All Interdisciplinary Studies students are required to complete a 12 credit hour core.
BIS 301, BIS 302 and BIS 402 courses require:
A meeting with your academic advisor to:
Ensure both of your concentration areas have been declared
Are working towards completing (or have completed) 1-2 courses in each declared concentration
- One course meeting general studies MA requirement
- ENG 102 or ENG 105 or ENG 108 or First Year Composition Completed
- Minimum 2.00 GPA
Required Courses (12 credit hours):
BIS 301 Foundations of Interdisciplinary Studies, L (3)
BIS 302 Interdisciplinary Inquiry (3)
Prerequisite(s): BIS 301 with C or better
BIS 401 Applied Interdisciplinary Studies (3) (requires application)
Prerequisites: BIS 301 with C or better; BIS 302 with C or better; Minimum of two courses completed in each concentration area
BIS 402 Senior Seminar, L (3)
Prerequisite(s): BIS 301 with C or better; BIS 302 with C or better
For important information, additional major requirements, course descriptions, and application deadlines: Interdisciplinary Studies Core Courses
For assistance in selecting your concentration areas of study complete the Interdisciplinary Studies concentration workshop: Interdisciplinary Studies Pre-Advising Workshop
Transfer to ASU transfer.asu.edu
- How credits transfer to ASU transfer.asu.edu/credits
- How to transfer to ASU from a Two-Year school transfer.asu.edu/ CommunityColleges
Maricopa County Community College District (MCCCD) transfer students transfer.asu.edu/maricopa
- Courses may fulfill Arizona General Education Curriculum (AGEC) or Associate’s degree requirements, consult with your community college academic advisor for details.
- MCCCD course transfer equivalencies are listed here; they may be applied toward this concentration (maximum of six credits or two courses).
- Information listed was current for this catalog year at the time of printing, consult transfer.asu.edu/maricopa for verification.