The concentration in music performance allows students who have a background playing an instrument or singing to continue their studies in music. The course work develops these skills through individual instrumental or vocal instruction and performance opportunities through various ensemble experiences. The program also includes the study of theoretical and historical elements of music. Students interested in pursuing the concentration in music performance should contact the School of Music's Office of Academic Affairs for audition information and to schedule the audition.
Admission Requirement: Prospective students must successfully complete an audition for the faculty in the applicable instrument area. Audition criteria are determined by area faculty and will be similar to the MUP 111/311 criteria found in the Audition Requirements section on this webpage: http://music.asu.edu/admissions/auditions/.
- Students must complete a minimum of 21 credit hours including 12 of upper division hours for this concentration.
- All courses must be completed with a grade of “C” (2.00) or higher.
- A maximum of 9 hours may be transferred from another institution and applied toward this concentration.
- * Students must consult the academic advising office with the School of Music to obtain an enrollment override into MUP 121/321 for each semester the course is taken.
- ** Students must pass the theory diagnostic exam on this link: https://herbergeronline.asu.edu/mus100/exam_start.php with a 70% or higher before an override for enrollment in MTC 125 will be provided by the School of Music.
Core 6 Hours Required
MUP 121 Studio Instruction - Secondary or minor instrument instruction (1)* (repeatable for credit)
MUS 131 Bach to Bebop (3) (Credit is allowed for only MUS 131 or 194 (Performance: Bach to Bebop))
MUP 321 Studio Instruction - Secondary or minor instrument instruction (1)* (repeatable for credit)
Ensemble 3 Hours Required
Choose from the following:
MUP 442 Instrumental Ensembles (1-2)
MUP 443 Choral Ensembles (1-2)
MUP 450 Choral Union (1-2) (Credit is allowed for only MUP 450 or 550)
MUP 457 Women’s Chorus (1-2) (Credit is allowed for only MUP 457 or 557)
MUP 494 Special Topics: [*CONC*BAND*] Concert Band (1-4)
Fourth Semester Ensemble 1 Hour Required
Choose one of the following:
MUS 294 Special Topics: [*ROCK*BAN*] Rock Band (1-4)
OR MUS 494 Special Topics: [*URB*DAN*MUS*] Urban Dance Music Ensemble (1-4)
OR An additional Ensemble from the list in section 2, select in consultation with an advisor in the School of Music.
History 6 Hours Required
MHL courses may be accepted if the appropriate prerequisites are met and/or with instructor approval, consult with an advisor in the School of Music.
MUS 340 Music for the Concert Hall, Stage, and Screen, HU & H (3) (Prerequisite: Minimum 42 hours)
MUS 347 Jazz in America, HU & C (3)
MUS 354 Popular Music – Topic: [*CLAS*ROCK*1950*] Classic Rock: 1950-1975, HU (3) (Prerequisite: Minimum 42 hours)
MUS 355 American Music, HU & C & H (3) (Prerequisite: Minimum 42 hours)
MUS 356 Broadway and the American Musical, HU (3)
MUS 362 Rap Music and Hip Hop Culture, HU & C (3) (Minimum 42 hours; Credit is allowed for only MUS 354 (Hip Hop) or 362)
MUS 410 History of Women in Music, HU & C & H (3)
Theory 3 Hours Required
MUS 100 Fundamentals of Music Notation (3)
OR MTC 125 Basic Music Theory (3)** (Students must pass the theory diagnostic exam, see note below)
Electives 2 Upper Division Hours Required
MHL / MTC / MUE / MUP / MUS
All Interdisciplinary Studies students are required to complete a 12 credit hour core.
BIS 301, BIS 302 and BIS 402 courses require:
A meeting with your academic advisor to:
Ensure both of your concentration areas have been declared
Are working towards completing (or have completed) 1-2 courses in each declared concentration
- One course meeting general studies MA requirement
- ENG 102 or ENG 105 or ENG 108 or First Year Composition Completed
- Minimum 2.00 GPA
Required Courses (12 credit hours):
BIS 301 Foundations of Interdisciplinary Studies, L (3)
BIS 302 Interdisciplinary Inquiry (3)
Prerequisite(s): BIS 301 with C or better
BIS 401 Applied Interdisciplinary Studies (3) (requires application)
Prerequisites: BIS 301 with C or better; BIS 302 with C or better; Minimum of two courses completed in each concentration area
BIS 402 Senior Seminar, L (3)
Prerequisite(s): BIS 301 with C or better; BIS 302 with C or better
For important information, additional major requirements, course descriptions, and application deadlines: Interdisciplinary Studies Core Courses
For assistance in selecting your concentration areas of study complete the Interdisciplinary Studies concentration workshop: Interdisciplinary Studies Pre-Advising Workshop
Transfer to ASU transfer.asu.edu
- How credits transfer to ASU transfer.asu.edu/credits
- How to transfer to ASU from a Two-Year school transfer.asu.edu/ CommunityColleges
Maricopa County Community College District (MCCCD) transfer students transfer.asu.edu/maricopa
- Courses may fulfill Arizona General Education Curriculum (AGEC) or Associate’s degree requirements, consult with your community college academic advisor for details.
- MCCCD course transfer equivalencies are listed here; they may be applied toward this concentration (maximum of six credits or two courses).
- Information listed was current for this catalog year at the time of printing, consult transfer.asu.edu/maricopa for verification.