The music concentration is designed for those students who are interested in a broad introduction to the study of music. The program allows for a diverse exposure to traditional through contemporary music practices, with numerous options to select courses based on students' interests.
- 24 semester hours of course work required for the Music concentration with at least 12 hours being upper division.
- A minimum grade of C (2.00) is required in all courses.
- MUP ensembles and other MUS courses are acceptable electives.
- MHL, MTC, MUE classes may be eligible selections for music concentration electives but are typically reserved for music majors; consult an advisor for clarification.
- MUP ensembles require audition http://music.asu.edu/ensembles/student.php
- No more than 9 credit hours of upper division courses may transfer into the Music concentration.
- M - Course transfer equivalent available from Maricopa County Community College District, details are provided on the Transfer Information tab.
Required Core 12 credit hours
MUS 100 Fundamentals of Music Notation (3)M
MUS 131 Bach to Bebop (3)
MUS 340 Music for the Concert Hall, Stage and Screen (3)
MHL 201 Mac Literacy for Musicians (3)
Music History 6 credit hours
Select courses from the following:
MUS 347 Jazz in America (3)
MUS 355 Survey of American Music (3)
MUS 356 Broadway and the American Musical (3)
MUS 410 History of Women in Music (3
Music Electives 6 credit hours, 3 Upper Division Hours Required
Students must have completed a minimum of 42 hours for each of the courses listed here.
Select courses from the following:
MUS 354 Elvis (3) HU
MUS 354 Classic Rock: 1950-1975 (3)
MUS 354 Rock and Roll since 1975 (3)
MUS 354 Beatles (3)
MUS 362 Rap Music (3) HU & C (Credit for only MUS 354 (Hip Hop) or 362)
MUS 362 Hip Hop Culture (3)
All Interdisciplinary Studies students are required to complete a 12 credit hour core.
BIS 301, BIS 302 and BIS 402 courses require:
A meeting with your academic advisor to:
Ensure both of your concentration areas have been declared
Are working towards completing (or have completed) 1-2 courses in each declared concentration
- One course meeting general studies MA requirement
- ENG 102 or ENG 105 or ENG 108 or First Year Composition Completed
- Minimum 2.00 GPA
Required Courses (12 credit hours):
BIS 301 Foundations of Interdisciplinary Studies, L (3)
BIS 302 Interdisciplinary Inquiry (3)
Prerequisite(s): BIS 301 with C or better
BIS 401 Applied Interdisciplinary Studies (3) (requires application)
Prerequisites: BIS 301 with C or better; BIS 302 with C or better; Minimum of two courses completed in each concentration area
BIS 402 Senior Seminar, L (3)
Prerequisite(s): BIS 301 with C or better; BIS 302 with C or better
For important information, additional major requirements, course descriptions, and application deadlines: Interdisciplinary Studies Core Courses
For assistance in selecting your concentration areas of study complete the Interdisciplinary Studies concentration workshop: Interdisciplinary Studies Pre-Advising Workshop
Transfer to ASU transfer.asu.edu
- How credits transfer to ASU transfer.asu.edu/credits
- How to transfer to ASU from a Two-Year school transfer.asu.edu/ CommunityColleges
Maricopa County Community College District (MCCCD) transfer students transfer.asu.edu/maricopa
- Courses may fulfill Arizona General Education Curriculum (AGEC) or Associate’s degree requirements, consult with your community college academic advisor for details.
- MCCCD course transfer equivalencies are listed here; they may be applied toward this concentration (maximum of six credits or two courses).
- Information listed was current for this catalog year at the time of printing, consult transfer.asu.edu/maricopa for verification.