The human nutrition concentration provides a sound foundation in the basic sciences and nutrition, but no food service courses are required. Students will develop a greater understanding of how nutrition contributes to healthy lifestyles and disease prevention. This program would be useful to students seeking further education in allied health or medical fields.
This concentration does not meet the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Didactic Program in Dietetics (DPD) requirements, and thus does not qualify a student to apply for a Dietetic Internship.
- Students must complete a minimum of 18 credit hours including a minimum of 12 upper division hours for this concentration.
- All courses must be completed with a grade of “C” (2.00) or higher.
Core 18 Hours Required
NTR 241 Human Nutrition (3) (Prerequisites: CHM 101 or CHM 113)
NTR 340 Applications in Human Nutrition (3) (Prerequisite: BIO 201; NTR 241)
NTR 341 Introduction to Planning Therapeutic Diets (3) (Prerequisites: NTR 100 or NTR 241)
NTR 440 Advanced Human Nutrition I (3) (Prerequisites: BIO 202, NTR 241 and NTR 340 with C or better; Credit for NTR 440 or 540)
NTR 441 Advanced Human Nutrition II (3) (Prerequisites: BCH 361 with C or better; BIO 202; NTR 241; Credit for NTR 441 or 541)
NTR 444 Medical Nutrition Therapy (3) (Prerequisite: NTR 341 or FON 341 with C or better OR enrolled in NTR 341; BIO 202; Credit is allowed for only NTR 444 or 544)
All Interdisciplinary Studies students are required to complete a 12 credit hour core.
BIS 301, BIS 302 and BIS 402 courses require:
A meeting with your academic advisor to:
Ensure both of your concentration areas have been declared
Are working towards completing (or have completed) 1-2 courses in each declared concentration
- One course meeting general studies MA requirement
- ENG 102 or ENG 105 or ENG 108 or First Year Composition Completed
- Minimum 2.00 GPA
Required Courses (12 credit hours):
BIS 301 Foundations of Interdisciplinary Studies, L (3)
BIS 302 Interdisciplinary Inquiry (3)
Prerequisite(s): BIS 301 with C or better
BIS 401 Applied Interdisciplinary Studies (3) (requires application)
Prerequisites: BIS 301 with C or better; BIS 302 with C or better; Minimum of two courses completed in each concentration area
BIS 402 Senior Seminar, L (3)
Prerequisite(s): BIS 301 with C or better; BIS 302 with C or better
For important information, additional major requirements, course descriptions, and application deadlines: Interdisciplinary Studies Core Courses
For assistance in selecting your concentration areas of study complete the Interdisciplinary Studies concentration workshop: Interdisciplinary Studies Pre-Advising Workshop
Transfer to ASU transfer.asu.edu
- How credits transfer to ASU transfer.asu.edu/credits
- How to transfer to ASU from a Two-Year school transfer.asu.edu/ CommunityColleges
Maricopa County Community College District (MCCCD) transfer students transfer.asu.edu/maricopa
- Courses may fulfill Arizona General Education Curriculum (AGEC) or Associate’s degree requirements, consult with your community college academic advisor for details.
- MCCCD course transfer equivalencies are listed here; they may be applied toward this concentration (maximum of six credits or two courses).
- Information listed was current for this catalog year at the time of printing, consult transfer.asu.edu/maricopa for verification.