Film and Media Studies*
The film and media studies concentration is for students who want to explore the critical and creative study of film and media. Students can select to study a range of courses that emphasize media and society, media industries, styles and genres and screenwriting.
- Students must complete a minimum of 18 credit hours including 12 of upper division hours for this concentration.
- Students must complete a minimum of 6 upper division hours in courses offered through the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.
- All courses must be completed with a grade of “C” (2.00) or higher.
- Courses used to fill the Core requirement may not be used in the Elective area.
- M - Course transfer equivalent available from Maricopa County Community College District, details are provided on the Transfer Information tab.
Core 9 Hours
FMS 100 Introduction to Film, HU (3)M
FMS 200 Film History, (L or HU) (3)
FMS 300 Television and Cultural Studies, L or HU (3)
Electives 9 Upper Division Hours Required
Select in consultation with a Film and Media Studies advisor.
All Interdisciplinary Studies students are required to complete a 12 credit hour core.
BIS 301, BIS 302 and BIS 402 courses require:
A meeting with your academic advisor to:
Ensure both of your concentration areas have been declared
Are working towards completing (or have completed) 1-2 courses in each declared concentration
- One course meeting general studies MA requirement
- ENG 102 or ENG 105 or ENG 108 or First Year Composition Completed
- Minimum 2.00 GPA
Required Courses (12 credit hours):
BIS 301 Foundations of Interdisciplinary Studies, L (3)
BIS 302 Interdisciplinary Inquiry (3)
Prerequisite(s): BIS 301 with C or better
BIS 401 Applied Interdisciplinary Studies (3) (requires application)
Prerequisites: BIS 301 with C or better; BIS 302 with C or better; Minimum of two courses completed in each concentration area
BIS 402 Senior Seminar, L (3)
Prerequisite(s): BIS 301 with C or better; BIS 302 with C or better
For important information, additional major requirements, course descriptions, and application deadlines: Interdisciplinary Studies Core Courses
For assistance in selecting your concentration areas of study complete the Interdisciplinary Studies concentration workshop: Interdisciplinary Studies Pre-Advising Workshop
Transfer to ASU transfer.asu.edu
- How credits transfer to ASU transfer.asu.edu/credits
- How to transfer to ASU from a Two-Year school transfer.asu.edu/ CommunityColleges
Maricopa County Community College District (MCCCD) transfer students transfer.asu.edu/maricopa
- Courses may fulfill Arizona General Education Curriculum (AGEC) or Associate’s degree requirements, consult with your community college academic advisor for details.
- MCCCD course transfer equivalencies are listed here; they may be applied toward this concentration (maximum of six credits or two courses).
- Information listed was current for this catalog year at the time of printing, consult transfer.asu.edu/maricopa for verification.