The astrophysics concentration is designed for students interested in developing a background in the theoretical modeling and observational techniques of galactic and stellar astronomy, extragalactic astronomy and cosmology. Students will acquire the following abilities: to think critically about scientific problems, to reduce complex problems to their most important attributes, and to design experiments, observations and theoretical models to address those attributes. Students pursuing an astrophysics concentration are expected to have a strong background in physics and mathematics.
- Students must complete a minimum of 20 credit hours including 12 of upper division hours for this concentration.
- Students must take at least 12 of the 20 units at ASU.
- All courses must be completed with a grade of “C” (2.00) or higher.
- A minimum 6 upper division hours must be taken in courses offered by the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.
- All students will be required to meet with an academic advisor in the School of Earth and Space Exploration to declare the concentration and confirm that the requirements are being met.
- Transfer course work must be evaluated by an advisor in the School of Earth and Space Exploration before it can be applied toward the concentration requirements.
Core 12 Hours Required
AST 321 Introduction to Planetary and Stellar Astrophysics (3)
AST 322 Introduction to Galactic and Extragalactic Astrophysics (3)
AST 421 Astrophysics I (3)
AST 422 Astrophysics II (3)
Students must also choose one of the following options for the additional eight credit hours:
SES 121 Earth, Solar System and Universe I, SQ (3)
SES 122 Earth, Solar System and Universe II (3)
SES 123 Earth, Solar System and Universe Laboratory I (1)
SES 124 Earth, Solar System and Universe Laboratory II (1)
AST 111 Introduction to Solar Systems Astronomy (3)
AST 112 Introduction to Stars, Galaxies, and Cosmology (3)
AST 113 Astronomy Laboratory I (1)
AST 114 Astronomy Laboratory II (1)
At least eight credit hours of AST or SES upper-division electives; these may include (but are not limited to):
AST 494 Observing Instrumentation and Data Analysis (3)
SES 311 Essentials of Astrobiology: Exploration for Life in the Universe (3)
Courses required for the astrophysics concentration may have additional prerequisites
All Interdisciplinary Studies students are required to complete a 12 credit hour core.
BIS 301, BIS 302 and BIS 402 courses require:
A meeting with your academic advisor to:
Ensure both of your concentration areas have been declared
Are working towards completing (or have completed) 1-2 courses in each declared concentration
- One course meeting general studies MA requirement
- ENG 102 or ENG 105 or ENG 108 or First Year Composition Completed
- Minimum 2.00 GPA
Required Courses (12 credit hours):
BIS 301 Foundations of Interdisciplinary Studies, L (3)
BIS 302 Interdisciplinary Inquiry (3)
Prerequisite(s): BIS 301 with C or better
BIS 401 Applied Interdisciplinary Studies (3) (requires application)
Prerequisites: BIS 301 with C or better; BIS 302 with C or better; Minimum of two courses completed in each concentration area
BIS 402 Senior Seminar, L (3)
Prerequisite(s): BIS 301 with C or better; BIS 302 with C or better
For important information, additional major requirements, course descriptions, and application deadlines: Interdisciplinary Studies Core Courses
For assistance in selecting your concentration areas of study complete the Interdisciplinary Studies concentration workshop: Interdisciplinary Studies Pre-Advising Workshop
Transfer to ASU transfer.asu.edu
- How credits transfer to ASU transfer.asu.edu/credits
- How to transfer to ASU from a Two-Year school transfer.asu.edu/ CommunityColleges
Maricopa County Community College District (MCCCD) transfer students transfer.asu.edu/maricopa
- Courses may fulfill Arizona General Education Curriculum (AGEC) or Associate’s degree requirements, consult with your community college academic advisor for details.
- MCCCD course transfer equivalencies are listed here; they may be applied toward this concentration (maximum of six credits or two courses).
- Information listed was current for this catalog year at the time of printing, consult transfer.asu.edu/maricopa for verification.